Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
beetlemania, 

I'm aware of the do's and don'ts placing coil's, how to placing coil's near capacitors is new info for me, thanks for the link :)
But like you said, there will be more space on the bigger PCB's, and if Jim Thiel didn't calculate the specific distances between the coil's I see no problem but rather an improvement.

Through all of Jim's final listening / troubleshooting / optimizing phases, the parts were mounted on the actual crossover boards with all input and output leads attached to real drivers in their real cabinets. Therefore any leakage, environmental changes, etc. would be accounted for in the final as-built design. Our changes affect his outcomes and we will be reassessing actual measured performance and tweaking values as necessary.

I expect our expanded layouts to exhibit less crosstalk as well as greater thermal stability. But our target slopes and voicing will be the same as Jim's
Measured the received Jantzen Cross coil’s, the two 0.15mH measure both 0.152 but the two 0.72mH Jantzen wax coil’s measure 0.749mH and 0.750mH :(
This will lower the crossover for the woofer about 30hz (880hz vs 850hz), my first thought is to send them back and wait another month for new one’s but maybe one of you guys have other thoughts about this?
There is also the option that I unwind them to get 0.72mH, did that before in the past but never on a foil wax coil.
holco - unwinding is very common practice. I've never done a foil wax, but it sounds easier than a bonded coil.

I'm not following your math. 30 Hz seems like a big change. The complex effective resistance will be different with foil vs round. Can you measure the actual crosspoint change?

We always wound oversized and unwound to taste in R&D.