Verity Audio midrange drivers?

In my search for new speakers, I auditioned the Verity Audio Finn at a local dealer. They were very musically absorbing, and may have nudged ahead of the B&W 803d on my short-list.

Going up the Verity Audio food chain are the Rienzi and then the Leonore, which I cannot audition locally.

My question is how do the quality of the midrange drivers compare between the Finn, Rienzi, and Leonore? Which of these speakers use the best midrange driver(s)?

Or put another way, if the midrange is important to you, which of these speakers stand out?

Regards,

Mark
toronto416
Thanks for the technical insights regarding the 803d vs. 802d midranges.

It certainly sounds like most of you are leaning in favour of Verity Audio as opposed to B&W, and from my limited experience in listening to the entry level Verity Audio speaker (Finn) I can see why.

There was some discussion above about Skaanng, Scan Speak and SEAS drivers. Scan Speak was founded by E. Skaaning, and Skaaning is now AudioTechnology. Both are now Danish owned.

The Rienzi has all Scandinavian made drivers (Scan Speak tweeter and woofer, SEAS midrange).

In comparing the previously discussed Skaaning (AudioTechnology) midrange to a similar SEAS midrange, the moving mass and excursion is indeed greater in the Skaaing. In comparing the frequency range of the the two midrange drivers, the SEAS is 400-5000 Hz whereas the Skaaning is 36-3800 Hz. The Skaaning's excursion and moving mass are greater as it is doing double duty as a bass/midrange driver and would be suited to a two-way speaker. The SEAS only goes down to 400 Hz, hence the smaller mass and excursion suited to a three way speaker, necessitating a woofer as well.

I am satisfied that the Rienzi has all the right bits and that Verity Audio has selected the appropriate drivers.

So what the heck, buying Rienzi plus Luxman sight unseen is not an overly reckless or risky proposition.

Regards,

Mark

Post removed 
Mark,

My remark was not in favor of Verity versus B&W. Both are similar designs and suffer from Grand Canyon midrange scoop. (large midrange that beams)

As an example of a better design (staying with B&W) take a look at this smooth on and off axis response of the B&W Nautilus 805 - now that is world class with the tweeter crossed over lower and closer to the point where the large midrange starts to beam like a flashlight.
Thank-you.

For many reasons I prefer to buy new.

If I buy Verity Audio speakers, the Rienzi is probably as high as I can go. Yes, the Leonore and Parsifal are probably better speakers, but they are around double the price of the Rienzi!

The Rienzi is at the same price point as the B&W 803d, and though I cannot compare the two in person, it looks like the Rienzi may be the better choice for me. Either way, they are both speakers I could live with and enjoy.

Choosing a system is fraught with compromises, impossible choices, and second guessing. I feel like I am making the wrong choices for the right reasons, and visa versa.

In the final analysis its about enjoying the music, not listening to the equipment.

Regards,

Mark