Verity Audio midrange drivers?

In my search for new speakers, I auditioned the Verity Audio Finn at a local dealer. They were very musically absorbing, and may have nudged ahead of the B&W 803d on my short-list.

Going up the Verity Audio food chain are the Rienzi and then the Leonore, which I cannot audition locally.

My question is how do the quality of the midrange drivers compare between the Finn, Rienzi, and Leonore? Which of these speakers use the best midrange driver(s)?

Or put another way, if the midrange is important to you, which of these speakers stand out?

Regards,

Mark
toronto416

Showing 21 responses by toronto416

Thanks, and yes - see my post above dated 07-18-10.

John at MKOM is a joy to deal with - highly recommended.
I emailed Verity Audio and they provided the following information about drivers, noting that all drivers were custom designed:

Finn - all drivers sourced from SB Acoustics.

Rienzi - midrange from SEAS in Norway, tweeter and woofer from Scan Speak.

Leonore - tweeter from SB Acoustics, midrange from Skaaning in Denmark, and woofers from SEAS in Norway.

SB Acoustic drivers appear to be Scandinavian designs that are maunufactured in Indonesia. SEAS drivers are all made in Norway, and I think that all Scan Speak drivers are still made in Denmark.

To my uneducated eye, it looks like the Rienzi and Leonore have better midrange drivers than the Finn. Given the different price-points of these speakers, this should not be a surprise.

Any thoughts?
Thank-you for the insights regarding Skaaning.

The Rienzi is probably as high as I can go pricewise, but at least the drivers are all Scandinavian made.

The Leonore looks like a great speaker, but should I not be a little concerened about the Scandinavian designed tweeter made in Indonesia?

Regards,

Mark
Thanks for your advice.

Though I have been able to audition the Finn, it is not possible to audition either the Rienzi or the Leonore in my city.

The Rienzi best fits my budget, but I will have to buy them sight unseen...

Given that I would like to support Canadian audio manufacturers, I am considering Simaudio Moon Evolution Series electronics (i-7 or 700i integrated, or P-7 + W-7, SuperNova or 750D CD players). They should work well with Verity Audio speakers.

It is possible to assemble The Great Canadian Audio System!

Regards,

Mark
The speakers we have been discussing, Verity Audio Rienzi and Leonore, driven by a Luxman 590Aii integrated amp, are not ones that I can audition in my city.

Some days I think that I should just play it safe and buy stuff that I can see, touch, audition TOGETHER, and enjoy such as B&W 803d speakers driven by Bryston electronics (BP-26 and 4B or 14B SST2) with either a Bryston or Esoteric CD player.

Trying to put together a system on paper that is "better" means that I will hear it for the first time after I buy it and set it up in my listening room. This goes totally against the conventional wisdom of the "the demo is everything".

Is buying an entire system sight unseen a risk worth taking, and is it even an intelligent approach to spending a considerable sum of money?

Regards,

Mark
I wish I had the flexibility to do that, but I don't. Montreal has a lively audio scene, but it is roughly the same distance from Toronto as New York, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Columbus. Verity Audio is made in Quebec City, which is further from Toronto than any of the above cities.

I live in Canada's largest city, and I should be able to put together a satisfying system from components available for demo in local dealers.

B&W 803d speakers sound good to me at that price point, and they are a highly regarded speaker made by a reputable company. B&W has invested considerable R&D in making drivers and crossovers for the 800 series in-house, and their curved cabinets in Denmark.

The B&W 803d and the Verity Audio Rienzi cost about the same, but I cannot audition the Rienzi, nor can I compare the two brands.

Is it not better to stick to the devil you know?

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the technical insights regarding the 803d vs. 802d midranges.

It certainly sounds like most of you are leaning in favour of Verity Audio as opposed to B&W, and from my limited experience in listening to the entry level Verity Audio speaker (Finn) I can see why.

There was some discussion above about Skaanng, Scan Speak and SEAS drivers. Scan Speak was founded by E. Skaaning, and Skaaning is now AudioTechnology. Both are now Danish owned.

The Rienzi has all Scandinavian made drivers (Scan Speak tweeter and woofer, SEAS midrange).

In comparing the previously discussed Skaaning (AudioTechnology) midrange to a similar SEAS midrange, the moving mass and excursion is indeed greater in the Skaaing. In comparing the frequency range of the the two midrange drivers, the SEAS is 400-5000 Hz whereas the Skaaning is 36-3800 Hz. The Skaaning's excursion and moving mass are greater as it is doing double duty as a bass/midrange driver and would be suited to a two-way speaker. The SEAS only goes down to 400 Hz, hence the smaller mass and excursion suited to a three way speaker, necessitating a woofer as well.

I am satisfied that the Rienzi has all the right bits and that Verity Audio has selected the appropriate drivers.

So what the heck, buying Rienzi plus Luxman sight unseen is not an overly reckless or risky proposition.

Regards,

Mark

Thank-you.

For many reasons I prefer to buy new.

If I buy Verity Audio speakers, the Rienzi is probably as high as I can go. Yes, the Leonore and Parsifal are probably better speakers, but they are around double the price of the Rienzi!

The Rienzi is at the same price point as the B&W 803d, and though I cannot compare the two in person, it looks like the Rienzi may be the better choice for me. Either way, they are both speakers I could live with and enjoy.

Choosing a system is fraught with compromises, impossible choices, and second guessing. I feel like I am making the wrong choices for the right reasons, and visa versa.

In the final analysis its about enjoying the music, not listening to the equipment.

Regards,

Mark

In the December 2009 issue of Stereophile not only do they review the Verity Audio Leonore, they also short listed the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation and the Verity Audio Sarastro II for 2009 Product of the Year.

In the October 2009 issue they included the Parsifal, Sarastro, and Rienzi in their listing of recommended components.

They favourably mentioned the new Finn in a trade show report.

Verity Audio is a small Canadian company, and to have almost their entire product line discussed or reviewed recently in Stereophile makes a very strong statement.

I read reviews with a jaded eye, but with Verity Audio I think that they may be on to something.

Regards,

Mark
All I am trying to point out is that a small company with a small advertising budget has received a huge amount of exposure in an audio magazine in another country, and that makes a strong statement about its products.

I fully agree that the great degree of arbitrary subjectivity of most audio reviews coupled with the many variables involved means that one must be cautious in interpreting the outcomes. I have no way of assessing the integrity, taste, or qualifications of most reviewers.

That said, having most of its product line reviewed or discussed recently suggests that Verity Audio have something special to offer. They sure don't have the marketing, entertaining, or discounted sample budget of some of the larger players that are in a position to influence the audio press in ways that have nothing to do with the excellence of their products.

Regards,

Mark
I had a chance to audition the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation yesterday, driven by a 20 wpc pure class A Luxman integrated amp. OMG!!!!

Not only are they not difficult to drive, they are incredibly musical and wonderful sounding speakers that connect you to the music and transport you to a better place...

Now I have to move a mountain... "Honey, you remember the 10K we needed for speakers, well actually we need 20K." Sigh...

Regards,

Mark

They were most definitely the Parsifal Ovations, and the amp was 20 wpc pure class A (I was told that would be equivalent to about 150 wpc in a class AB amp).
I have auditioned two Verity Audio speakers - the Finn and the Parsifal Ovation.

The Parsifal blew me away - it is a wonderful speaker!

The Rienzi is much closer to my budget, but I cannot audition it.

Has anyone compared the Rienzi to the Parsifal?

How much of the Parsifal magic does the Rienzi have?

Regards,

Mark
I thought that the Finn was very good and more musically engaging and acurate than the more expensive B&W 803d that I had been contemplating.

Comparing the Finn to the Parsifal is not really fair, because the Parsifal is truly stunning, and at more than three times the price they did not have to make the same design compromises to meet a certain price-point. To keep the cost of the Finn lower, certain compromises had to be made. The drivers in the Finn are Scandinavian designs made (I think) in Indonesia. All that aside, it is a very musically satisfying speaker. I thought she was wonderful and beautiful until I met her older sister - who simply took my breath away.

The Parsifal is a no compromise 20K speaker with Danish made drivers custome made for Verity Audio (the midrange was specially designed for the Parsifal by Skaaning himself, and is apparently VERY costly). The bass and midrange drivers are manufactured by Audio Technology, and the tweeter is a modified Revelator made by Scan Speak.

Much as I would love to live with the Parsifal, I think that I will have to settle for the middle sister - Rienzi. Has anyone seen or heard her?

Regards,

Mark

After much listening, research, thought and discussion, I am able to consider the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation powered by a Luxman integrated amp (either the 590Aii or the 509u).

After hearing the Parsfals I knew that anything else would seem (to me) like a compromise. The music came alive and took my breath away, and they were powered with only 20 wpc (though pure class A, Luxman integrated).

All that is left is to choose between the two Luxman integrateds (590Aii or 590u) and a cdp, either a Luxman D-06 or an Esoteric X-05.

Almost there...

Mark
Thanks for your thoughtful responses.

I have an additional reason for choosing Verity, and that is that I am Canadian and want to support the best of Canadian audio (where possible).

The Verity Amadi sounds interesting - how much will it be? Is it replacing the Parsifal or is it lower in the food chain and replacing the Rienzi?

I want to add that this forum has been most helpful and informative. Many thanks to you all!

Regards,

Mark
I just checked the Verity Audio website - the Amadis is further UP the food chain than the Parsifal, and sits between the Parsifal and the Sarastro II.

The Amadis therefore fills the $15K price gap between the $20K Parsifal and the $35K Sarastro II.

I think that the Parsifal will be just fine for me!

Regards,

Mark
I have been enjoying the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations for several months now, driven by the Luxman 509u integratd amp and Luxmn D-06 cdp. As a system it sounds wonderful, and the electronics match well with the speakers.

I enjoy classical music (piano, chamber) and jazz. I listen to a lot of solo piano, and I often feel like there is an actual Steinway D playing live in front of me.

Interestingly Redbook can sound as good as SACD to me when it is well recorded. Some Chandos and Hyperion recordings from the early 90's sound superb.

To be honest, I have stopped listening to the equipment and worrying about individual components. I now lose myself in the music and thirst to hear more. This is a system that conveys the essence of well played music.
Thanks for the suggestion - I bought the Dave Grusin cd yesterday and it is wonderful music making that also sounds wonderful (and its 1993 Redbook).

Speaking of older Redbook, the cd that I keep going back to was recorded in 1988 (!!!), called 'A Tribute To Louis Armstrong' by The Sackville All Stars (Jim Galloway, Ralph Sutton, Milt Hinton, Gus Johnson) - Sackville 3042. It is a real gem, and it also happens to sound wonderful.

Proof that even older Redbook can sometimes sound good!

In the final analysis this is about enjoying the music, not just agonizing over the equipment.
Thanks Stratguy,

I never had the opportunity to audition the Rienzis, but I did hear the Finns and the Parsifal Ovations. The Finns had me wanting to hear more, but the Parsifals took my breath away - and so I bought them. I am writing this while listening to them.

Verity Audio is a small company dedicated to making outstanding speakers with passionate committment. And the results are simply stunning.