Vandersteen Model 7: has anyone heard?

I won't have $45K to spend on a loudspeaker in this lifetime or any other I imagine but the little snippet in TAS peaked my curiousity. Has anyone heard this speaker and would be willing to offer their impressions?
russellrcncom
Congratulations to Richard Vandersteen for being selected as the Los Angeles/Orange County Audio Society recipient of the Founders Award that is given each year to someone in the audiophile community who has had a major influence on both manufacturers and consumers in high end audio.

More that 300 audiophiles, including print and on-line media personalities from TAS , Stereophile, Positive Feedback, and Ultra Audio plus manufactures of high end audio attended the Annual Gala event. Bob Levi, President of the Society was the Master of Ceremonies while John Atkinson was the keynote speaker.

Richard Vandersteen accepted his award and spoke about how he got started in the business and then gave his views on various issues concerning high end speaker research and development. Richard's gracious wife and proud family were also in attendance.

Oh yes, Miss America was also there.

Everyone had a great time.
This past weekend THE SHOW NEWPORT featured some of the best
hi-fi in the land. One of the best rooms I enjoyed was the
Optimal Enchantment (Randy Cooley) room that featured the Vandersteen Model 7 speakers driven by Audio Research flagship
electronics plus the Basis Inspiration TT with Vector 4 arm and Lyra Titan cart. Analog ruled the room as Randy played
some of the best straight ahead jazz recordings available today. Even with typical audio show noise levels, this system
was a relief from the digital sound found in many of the other rooms.The
Vandersteen speakers were still able to produce a natural, detailed, and dynamic sound that many, myself included, expect from Vandersteen speaker systems. Many people that I talked to told me that it was the best sounding room that they had heard. Being able to have extended discussions with Richard Vandersteen and AJ Conte was a terrific bonus as well. Both are music lovers dedicated to giving us the best sound possible in our homes.
I also attended T.H.E. Show in Newport and spent time with the 7s. I got there when Dark Side of the Moon was playing and sat through Stairway to Heaven. I believe that this system's imaging eclipses anything I've heard previously. Simply inconceivably specific. Instrumental timbres were also extraordinary. Halfway through Stairway I thought that this was the best system I had ever heard. But, when Bonzo's toms and bass drum usher in the headbanger mid-section of the tune I neither heard nor felt the impact of the instrument. There was extension and instrumental tone galore but no sock. No kick. No balls! The foundation was simply missing. I have no doubt that I would find this system enthralling with any number of soft rock, combo jazz or vocal recordings. But I would find it unconvincing with Mahler, Mingus (big band), or Motorhead. Still, I was incredibly impressed and think that the 7s are a brilliant achievement.
Siliab,
I think your impression is "room and system dependent"so to speak.
I heard 7s extensively in friend's system on very familiar dynamic classical recordings, and I have to tell you, that bass impact and extension were simply outstanding, better, than in my own system,and one of the best,I heard ever.
He has a very well designed and implemented dedicated listening room (Rives).
Also, as you probably know, the subwoofers in the 7s are adjustable,so I could imagine a less, than ideal setup,that can be improved.
The bottom line is- the bass extension and impact of the 7s are simply outstanding!
Maril555, I guess I am the friend you refer to (I recognized your system from the pictures). Thank you for your remarks.

Siliab, I was not at T.H.E. Show, so I cannot comment on that setup, although they cannot have sounded too bad since John Atkinson picked that room as one of the three best sounding rooms at the show. What I can assure you is that the Seven's all but lack foundation. In fact, once you get used to the truly flat bass response you can obtain from them, it is difficult not to be bothered by the in room bass response of almost any other speaker.

I have about 1,500 hours on mine and drive them with ARC Reference Anniversary and Reference 250's. Each time I think I heard their full potential, I find that something else in my system was actually holding them back. For anybody who is considering purchasing speakers at this price point (or higher), I strongly believe these deserve to be heard properly setup.