The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions

Hello @uberwaltz, according to the verbal reports I have heard from earwitnesses at shows, Daemon sounds like those aforementioned dreams as well *Grins!*

G.

Thank you 213runnin for that delightful bit of purple prose. I should like to counter with my favorite -- if admittedly pessimistic -- quote from our own Rodman99999...

"Just don't fall into the category of those whose minds, like concrete, are thoroughly mixed, and permanently set"

RODMAN99999

Yet things might not be quite as bad as that... Get out of the house a bit, get some fresh air.... You might even discover that the Earth ain't flat.

Saluti, G.

Thanks for that, guido.  My mind used to be made up, back when I thought cables made no difference and all amps were pretty much the same, a bit of propaganda pushed hard on the Avs site. 

Now I’m more of the school that believes everything matters.  On that score I’m sure I’d be quite happy with a pair of Bel Canto monoblocks, or any other class d amp that is designed well.

live and let live.  Surely everyone can choose for themselves without silly threads announcing that class A/B is dead, however.  

Hello 213, I am completely with you on the subject of class A and A/B ill-conceived conjectures of their imminent demise... There are amazingly wonderful amplifiers from all classes and topologies.

While I remain an unapologetic fan of the Rowland house sound, during my visits at RMAF I was totally mesmerized by the tone of Soulution SS amps and by the ARC tubed reference series.

In the class D domain, the Bel Canto Black series is a fb example of high end amplification.... And Merrill Audio has introduced a brand new series of amplifiers based on a class D circuit of Merrill's own design... I had the fortune of having an early prototype of the Merrill Element 118 in my system during last spring, and while the prototype still displayed some minor teething issues, Element 118 certainly showed high promise, and the final product would be worth considering.

Really, the "my amp class's bigger'n'better'n yourn game is so much hogwash!

There are some top flight amps out there.... class a, ab, d, tubed, and so forth... Their tonal character and musicality is typically unique to the brand and to their design and execution, not so much to their class of operation.

Besides, what I enjoy need not be what everyone else loves.... Let's value diversity in this beautiful hobby of ours.

Saluti, G.