Why does my DAC sound so much better after upgrading digital SPDIF cable?

I like my Mps5 playback designs sacd/CD player but also use it as a DAC so that I can use my OPPO as a transport to play 24-96 and other high res files I burn to dvd-audio discs.

I was using a nordost silver shadow digital spdif cable between the transport and my dac as I felt it was more transparent and better treble than a higher priced audioquest digital cable a dealer had me audition.

I recently received the Synergistic Research Galileo new SX UEF digital cable.  Immediately I recognized that i was hearing far better bass, soundstage, and instrument separation than I had ever heard with high res files (non sacd),

While I am obviously impressed with this high end digital cable and strongly encourage others to audition it, I am puzzled how the cable transporting digital information to my DAC from my transport makes such a big difference.

The DAC take the digital information and shapes the sound so why should the cable providing it the info be so important. I would think any competently built digital cable would be adequate....I get the cable from the DAC to the preamp and preamp to amp matter but would think the cable to the DAC would be much less important.

I will now experiment to see if using the external transport to send red book CD files to my playback mps5 sounds better than using the transport inside the mps5 itself.

The MPS5 sounds pretty great for ca and awesome with SACD so doubt external transport will be improvement for redhook cds

128x128karmapolice
Jitter is well documeneted. However, comparing jitter between DACs has nothing to do with if you are using a $20 generic digital cable (coax or optical) or a $4000 Nordost one.

It certainly enters into it. If the cable is really poor, the jitter added will swamp what the DAC will deliver in terms of jitter. See these plots:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154425.0

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@Kalali

I’m a skeptic because I reference studies showing the differences are inaudible?

@audioengr

That’s BNC, not optical. And again, that’s at frequencies we can’t hear.

Since you know how quick a psec is, let’s listen to what 2 microseconds (2 million picoseconds), http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/what-does-jitter-sound-like

On my phone, I could guess the original 1kHz vs 2µs periodic (the others were obvious), but was magnitudes more difficult with music.

So, it should be obvious that if 2 million psec is not easily differentiable with music playing, than your original statement of going from 22psec to 7psec being a drastic difference should show you why I stated it was bogus, even if your gear and room are near silent, the difference in the noise floor with content playing would be insignificant, just like how going from dithered 16bit to 24bit is impossible to hear, as dithered 16bit has a dynamic range of 120dB, and the noise floor of a song is never gonna be say 20dB, so one could have a song that’s 20dB to 140dB be perfectly reproduced by noise-shape dithered 16bit.

Of course, given your job, I highly doubt you would state otherwise.
@boxer12 
Try this premium Canare BNC-RCA (BCJ-RCAP) adaptor:

https://m.markertek.com/product/bcj-rcap/canare-bcj-rcap-bnc-jack-f-to-rca-plug-m-adapter?ne_ppc_id=...

The BNC female is a true 75-ohm connector and the RCA male is as good as one likely can get for an impedance match male connector. 

So, it should be obvious that if 2 million psec is not easily differentiable with music playing, than your original statement of going from 22psec to 7psec being a drastic difference should show you why I stated it was bogus, even if your gear and room are near silent,

It is not bogus. I have been demonstrating differences in jitter for 10 years at RMAF, THE Show, LA Audio Show and others. I can measure it and I can hear it with my systems. My customers feedback proves that these differences are audible. You need a system that provides pinpoint imaging and deep wide soundstage. You cannot get with this an iPhone.

Of course, given your job, I highly doubt you would state otherwise

What the hell is that supposed to mean?  Is this a personal attack?

Steve N.

Empirical Audio