DAC plus Preamp or DAC-Preamp or DAC-Volume Control ?

I recently purchased a 2A3 amplifier. Preamplifier and Speakers have not been chosen.

This will be a ’learning / experiential’ system. My intentions and goals are that this ’JOURNEY’ to a new system be radically different than how I went about putting my current ’primary’ system together.

I will be leaving my front end (computer audio) system the same.

The ’secondary’ system will bifurcate post DAC at the preamp OR with a new DAC/Preamplifier combo component.

The purpose of this thread is to ask for your recommendations and suggestions for:

- Preamplifiers

OR

- DAC + Full Preamplifier // DAC + Volume Control Combo Components

to pair with Scott Sheaffer’s Found Music 2A3 monoblock amplifier. Scott advises that this amp is unfussy with respect to preamp pairings, solid state or tube, or digital volume controls.

Current system (general components): Small Green Computer Server > Sonore Signature Rendu SE > Denafrips Terminator DAC > T+A PA 3100 HV Integrated Amplifier > Tekton Design Double Impact SE Speakers.

Any additional thoughts and advice related to the topic are welcome.

Thank You!
david_ten
Hi david_ten,

FWIW, I would vote for a separate DAC and preamp. 

A preamp is really a heart of a system and DAC technology keeps changing.

The ability to keep the preamp that you like and just change the DAC, I think, provides more flexibility. 

Thanks for listening, 

Dsper
@dsper  Thank you. Agreed. It's also the most versatile option and will allow for optimized pairings.
Everyone: Thoughts on Ed Schilling’s The Truth Preamp (from the Horn Shoppe)? The T-3 version is an option.
david_ten,

I have not heard The Truth, but I have recently acquired an Axiom II with the Taylor upgrade. Half the price of the Hornshoppe piece.

The Axiom has been used with about ten CDs so it is not broken in yet. 

It appears a bit bright at this point but is worth listening to further to decide if it will give my Conrad Johnson Premier LS17 - 2 a run for its money.

Thanks for listening,

Dsper
@dsper   I was holding off on updating the thread for another week or two. I wanted to have my system settled, prior to doing so.

In essence, I followed your advice and went with an active preamplifier/linestage.

There were a number of consultations 'behind the scenes' with a number of folks on whether the DAC+Volume Control, Passive Pre, or Active Pre would be a fit. A number of brands and models, of each type, were also discussed and considered.

I came very close to going forward with a Nagra HD DAC (which has a volume control) but the general and specific advice was that it would not be the best fit. That (process) also clarified the reasons and need to eliminate DACs with volume controls. 

Given my experience with driving the 2A3 amps with the T+A Pre-outs, and my future speaker choice (and again after a ton of consultation), passive preamps have also been eliminated.

I settled on going active with sufficient gain. The Robert Koda Takumi K-10 and the Grandinote Genesi were my top choices. The third choice was the CJ GAT 2.

This has been the most exhaustive (and exhausting) and time consuming process for a single component I've personally been through.

I chose to go with the Grandinote Genesi, at this time. 

It is in system, but since it is truly / fully balanced (only) I have a properly configured female XLR to male RCA  IC on order.