How do you train your ears?

How do you educate yourself to refine your ability to listening to music and being able to tell about the details of the sonic nature?
I guess, first off, one has to listen to lots of music on lots of different systems, and catch intrinsic details and subtle differences. Knowing basic music theory and being proficient in one or more musical instruments would also help.
However, simple listening may not improve one's ability unless the listening practice is guided by educated practices that have been exercised by experts and those with golden ears.

How have you refined your hearing/listening capability?
Any good source you know of to recommend to novices and enthusiasts?
128x128ihcho
>>How do you train your ears?<<

Use very simple one word commands your ears will understand.

Sit
Heel
Speak
Down

Enuciate clearly and speak firmly.

Good luck.
Larryken,
211 Tube Monoblocks, Tube Preamp, Dunlavy SC-V Speakers, Sony TC 880-2 Tape Deck, 4 Gauge Speaker Cables, Oracle Delphi TT, Dynavector Arm & Cartridge. Cal Audio Labs Alpha DAC, MicroMega Transport. Not such extraordinary equipment but the synergy is outstanding. The room is ordinary, 20' x 15', carpeted wooden floors, bookcases around both sides and back wall.
How do I train my ears?

I sit orchestra center, not as close as some others have indicated, but close enough...when I don't sit outside the performance I am usually in it. I had the opportunity to conduct a few times in college, and that would be the ultimate reference...if I could just have someone let me hold the baton again...

Recently I took my spl meter to a orchestra read of Il Trovatore, which took place in a rehearsal room. I was standing on a platform with the principal singers near the percussion section...here are some measurements...

Large cymbal crashes, 107db
Heavy percussion, upwards of 115db
Full brass, 110db (at 15ft.)
Full strings, 100db (at 20ft.)

Operatic Voice at 5-7ft, loud passages:

Dramatic soprano voice 92 db
Dramatic Mezzo voice 90db
Darmatic tenor 90db
Dramatic Baritone 87db

I am sure had I been on the other side of the orchestra...aka from the podium, the brass and the strings would have been a bit louder...

Mind you, these are peaks, the general range of the orchestra was around 80db for mf, with the singers riding their overtones...which is the art after all.
Listen, listen, and when you think you are an expert listener,
listen some more.
WHAT ? oh sorry that was when I was married. Now I just simply RELAX! Cheers