Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Is anyone familiar with Daniil Trifonov's work? He's a Russian pianist who's quickly becoming a giant that may one day rival the likes of Gilels and Richter, imo. I stumbled upon him 6 years ago when he played Prokofiev's 3rd concerto in Lincoln center NYC. He's been on my radar since. He's got several world class recordings already, check out tidal and youtube.  My favorites: 

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto no. 1 
Rachmaninov concerto 2 and 4 with Gergiev (most recent recording)
Schubert Quintett Forellen, Trout
Chopin Evocations 

He's touring NJ, NC, VA, NY Carnegie hall this winter

Carnegie Hall NEW YORK, NY       Feb 9, 2019

BEETHOVEN: Andante in F Major, WoO 57 (“Andante favori”)
BEETHOVEN: Piano Sonata No. 18 in E-flat major, op. 31, no. 3
SCHUMANN: Bunte Blätter, op. 99
SCHUMANN: Presto passionato, op. 22
PROKOFIEV: Piano Sonata No. 8 in B-flat major

I hate to add a dissenting note regarding 
Igor Levit, Life. But, unfortunately I find he sleepwalks through disc one.
Especially in the vital and exciting Brahms arrangement of Bach’s Chaccone in D minor.  Brahms loved to extemporize in the Bach keyboard style on both piano and organ in a rambunctious manner.  This Levit performance misses the essential exuberance of the Baroque style.  Violinists demonstrate this routinely.
I know Levit has a theme for this recording, but this piece does not fit in.
In disc two the atmospheric approach works better, but I’m not a big fan of the Liszt-Wagner ethos.
rvpiano 
I completely agree, I found his playing uninspiring and rather dull. 
Has anyone heard Denis Matsuev? I personally think he's the best all around concert pianist currently in the world and has been for at least past 5 years. Just curious what others think. He's recorded most of the Russian piano masterpiece repertoire. I think his recordings are a perfect gateway into all major Russian masterpieces. Everything available on Tidal. Most impressive works: (all available on tidal with superb sound quality as versions of SACD)

Prokofiev piano concerto no 2, easily bests everything out there including Michel Beroff, Toradze, Horacio Gutierrez, Vladimir Krainev etc. Listen to that Cadenza in first movement, mesmerizing. 

Tchaikovsky piano Concerto 1 and 2. His second concerto is less well known and played, Matsuev kills it. 

Shostakovich piano concerto 1 and 2. Not very profound pieces, yet he squeezes everything he can out of them. 

Prokofiev PC no 3, right up there with all the best imo. 

Rach 2 and 3 excellent. Check out youtube versions. First movement cadenza at 10:10 is one of my favorites. Few versions on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRYSuGQfiqE&t=682s

thoughts? 
Yes, Matsuev, the “Siberian Bear” as he’s sometimes called, is a formidable player, especially of Russian music.  He’s actually a weight lifter and body builder, as his powerful playing attests to.
A female version of him, I believe, is Khatia Buniatishvili.  Also a very powerful pianist with a brilliant technique.
Listen to her very original rendering of Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition or Ravel’s La Valse either on disc or streaming service for a real treat.
Highly recommended.