First Plasma/LCD purchase ever - a few questions..

My budget is under $1k and considering 37" - 42" sizes.

Any issues buying from Best Buy?
Any issues buying open stock/demo to save $$?
BB salesman told me I need to have the TV professionally calibrated on a regular basis. Can I DIY this process instead?
Plasma and LCD - does one require more maintenance (calibration) than the other?
And of course, the salesman wants me to buy the top-of-the-line warranty service. I've never ever bought any extended warranty on anything in my life. But is this, or any costly service contract, necessary for these TVs (plasma/lcd)?

I'd be happy to hear about your experiences related to these questions.

Thank you (in advance).
rockadanny
Dont buy open box, dont buy warranty and dont buy the BS about calibration, the amount spent doesnt justify it and as long as you like how it looks who cares. Next and last is never NEVER listen to anyone at BestBuy..........too many of them are idiots to gamble with common sense.
>04-09-09: Chadnliz
Dont buy open box, dont buy warranty and dont buy the BS about calibration, the amount spent doesnt justify it and as long as you like how it looks who cares.<

In a showroom environment the brightest picture equates the best choice to the average consumer which is why most LCD's are shipped with the Kelvin or brightness set very high if not all the way up. Leaving the display set at this high level greatly shortens the life span of the display.

Lowering the Kelvin doesn't necessarily require professional adjustment. Accessing the diagnostic menu and adjusting all the parameters to their optimum using the appropriate software does. The custom settings can also be correctly set for day or night time viewing. As I mentioned above my LCD's benefited greatly from calibration with much better shadow detail, color rendition, and less fatiguing brightness, just to name a few.

Any adjustment should be done after a few months of use. As 55dok mentioned a search at the AVS forum may provide you with basic settings that could also greatly improve a displays picture quality over the factory settings.
"Rockadanny":

Do you have any specialty audio/video dealers in your area???

If so, why don't you pay a visit to one of them and get a second opinion.

Surely, I have nothing against Best Buy, as it is one of my favorite stores. I would buy a lot of things out of Best Buy. But rest assure you, a TV will not be one of them. And I may have to slightly disagree with "Chadnliz" as far as a warranty is concerned. Being that Plasma and LCD Television are relatively new technologies, I may be inclined to buy a warranty as well (for your piece of mind if for nothing else..... that way if you have any issues with your expensive set during the warranty period long after your one year manufacturer's warranty expires, you'll be covered as well).

And lastly, like others have stated, don't buy none of that bullshit that Best Buy may feed you in reference of calibration. The calibration of your TV set is something you can do on your own. You can get an Aria Digital TV Calibration Disc for less than $40.00 and do the calibration yourself. Just put the disc in your DVD Player and follow the instructions as you go along.

To start out on getting your first Plasma set, you can get a 720p Panasonic Plasma for as little as $900.00. If you get it from a specialty dealer, they'll cut you a deal that will compete with anything you'll get from Best Buy. If you bargain hard enough, a specialty dealer will take about $100.00 off of the price of the set if you opt for other things like installation and delivery. Including an extended warranty (if your choose to go with one) and taxes, a high-end dealer in my area will sell you Panasonic TC--P42X1 for about $1,300.00 (delivered, installed and with an extended warranty). I am thinking about getting one for my bedroom (I have a 2007 Panasonic TH-42PZ77U 1080p 42" Plasma Set in my living room.... and it was about $1,500.00 for the set only back in 2007 and about $1,900.00 delivered and installed).

Good Luck and Happy Shopping.

Let us know what you end up with.

--Charles--
"Don't buy warranty"?

I had extended warranty on a Sony 30" CRT hi-def that blew its tuner card three months before warranty expired.

Saved me $850 in repairs.

Pass at your own risk...
Find what you like at BB but shop on line for the best deals. Best buy prices are very high! VANNS.com has a clearance center on their website.
They ship for free and don't charge sales tax. I bought a Panasonic hdtv from them/open box with no problems. Also bought other stuff (dvd players, speakers etc) Aside from Vanns you can shop via google and find plenty of on line merchants. Look for the ones that offer free shipping and/or no sales tax. Also consider the Sony outlet store on line unless you live nearby one of their outlet centers. I live close to one in NY and got a great deal on a 46" LCD. Don't be afraid to buy an Sony refurb from the Sony outlet. They are covered by warranty and you can buy an extended warranty for cheap from Sony. I got my TV (refurb) with 3 year warranty out the door for under $1100. at the Sony outlet.
Good hunting!