B&W 803D crossover caps

I am considering an upgrade of the crossover capacitors in by B&W 803Ds, particularly the mid and HF coupling caps.

I took out the top bass driver to find out what caps were installed. It looks like for the diamond tweeter B&W uses a Mundorf Supreme silver/gold, 4.7 mfd 1200V. For the mid driver there are two; a 47 mfd Mundorf MKP 400V series coupling cap (in series with the driver) and a 10 mfd Mundorf Supreme siver/gold bypassing cap (parallel to the driver).

I was thinking about changing out all three, but have a few concerns.

I was going to replace the 10 mfd, 4.7 mfd Supreme silver/gold with Supreme silver/gold/oil. Would there be enough of a difference in these two types to justify the cost? I also do not want to make the upper end any brighter.

I am also concerned about the long term reliability of oil filled caps, as some failures have been reported in warmer environments. I wonder if B&W did not use the silver/gold/oils for that reason.

The biggest impact I suspect will come from the replacement of that series 47 mfd MKP. I would probably use either the Mundorf MCap EVO (Al metalization), MCap EVO oil (Al/oil), or the MCap EVO silver/gold/oil. All three are the same size for 47 mfd, and will fit to replace the MKP. Barring the issues about oil, which might be the best sounding? Again, I want to avoid too much enhancement of the upper midrange.
dhl93449
There's no cheap caps on the mid xover I just linked to, Mundorf and M-Cap!!! and no 47nF there is a very good quality 47uF.

One good cap of the correct value that B&W worked out that's it, if you look at the 802D MkII photo I linked to of the mid, they have already used very good caps, I have no doubt the tweeter would be just as good if not better. 

Cheers George
georgehifi:

I don't think I suggested there is a quality issue with the parts in the crossover, but a cheaper MKP version will not sound the same as a Silver/Gold/Oil. That is why they make the SGO in the first place. Do you even have 803Ds or have listened to them?

Replacing that MKP 47 uFd with a SGO did make a significant difference in sound quality. Neither capacitor sounds "bad", but the SGO sounds better, and isn't that what we all strive for? If every manufacturer had the tuning of their product perfect out of the box, then there would be no upgrade market then, would there?

Since my original post I have added a few more mods. I now believe the upper midrange harshness that sometimes is present is sourced from the FST midrange driver. There is a mod that the 800/802 series had (a heavy cast iron weight attached to the back of the FST driver) that is absent from the 803 series. When I asked B&W tech support why the 800s have this but the 803D does not, they told me the weight will not fit in the 803 cabinet, but it will fit in the marlan cabinet on the 800/802. So not entirely believing their story, I ordered two to see if I could fit them. I had to remove a small pc of 1" of foam at the back of the cabinet (so tech support was correct) and the drivers and weights fit fine. You have to make another threaded tension rod (I used 6mm stainless threaded rod) and obtain a couple of 6mm SS nylok nuts; one set to attached the rod to the FST driver, and another set to hold the weight snugly against the back of the driver. Don't forget there is a rubber gasket placed between the weight and driver. You may also need loktite between the threaded rod and the FST driver to keep things tight and to prevent loosening. This mod also worked quite well in smoothing the upper midrange even further.

What I would really like to get a hold of next is the latest version D3 midrange driver. They are completely different from the older FST and from what I understand, have addressed many of the problems of the earlier version. But, they are not available on the B&W parts website yet (maybe the never will be).  
biggy79

I don't think george reads your posts carefully. You are correct, there is a 'bypassing" cap (ie one parallel to the FST driver) in the crossover network. It is a Mundorf silver gold or silver gold oil, depending on what product you have or version of crossover. It is an upgrade (at least according to Mundorf, who makes these capacitors) over the any MKP version, which is in series with the FST driver.

The EVO versions are the only ones that will fit (47 uFd) as a substitute for that MKP 47 uFd. They will improve the sound considerably, although at very high cost. I do not understand, from a sound quality perspective, why B&W would use an MKP version instead of an EVO (either oil or SGO). From a COST perspective, perfectly understandable.

Don't forget the series coupling resistors in the MR CR network. The service manual shows a couple of values being used (and mine had even different values). Plus or minus 0.5 ohms in this coupling resistor can make a significant difference in the 800-1.2 KHz region.

The changes from 47 to 51 uFd in the D2 may not have anything to do with "smoothness", but a shift in crossover frequencies due to driver changes from previous versions. 

With respect to the "woofer" caps (there are two MKP 100 uFd in PARALLEL with the four drivers), remember these are there to roll off the bass drivers at higher frequencies. I don't think Mundorf makes 100 uFd SGO caps, and as these are there to attenuate signals across the woofers, their impact on sound quality is minimized (unless you have an lower midrange peaking problem). My tests with pink noise do not show any such peaking (nor do I hear one), so I leave these alone. I have heard of people "bypassing" these with lower value (like 1-10 uFd) SGO type caps, but I doubt if you gain much, because the frequencies (and impedance) needed to impact bass drivers. For example, a 10 uFd cap will be lower than 4 ohms at frequencies above about 4 KHz. That is quite a bit higher than the 200 Hz cross over frequency for the bass drivers, so these bypass caps will have little to no impact on the bass drivers at or below the crossover frequencies. 

george- download a version of the service manual from B&W and check out the crossover schematics before you comment.

There are various differences in the tweeters in the 800/802/803 series products. Whether some sound "better" than others may be a matter of personal taste or sensitivity.
(there are two MKP 100 uFd in PARALLEL with the four drivers)

Two cap of the same paralleled in series in the signal path is fine, as both are identical as both have the same time constants.

It only becomes a problem when the two are different values or makes, as both are behaving differently at a certain frequency.

EG:
A series cap 20uf seeing an 8ohm load will roll off -3db at 1khz and go out to beyond many mhz.
A series cap 2uf seeing an 8ohm load will roll off -3db at 10khz and go out to beyond many mhz
If the 2uf was use to by-pass the 20uf both will be letting through the frequencies higher than 10khz at the same time creating smearing effect because each have different sound characteristics.

I have proved this to myself many times, with caps in series with the music signal.

The only time a bypass cap should be use is in power supply decoupling.

Cheers George
Sorry, I used "nF" instead of "uF".

@dhl93449

Do you like my project (to "add oil" to the 4.7uF TW coupling cap and to the 10uF MR bypassing cap -since I have 803D, not 803D2- and to replace the 47uF MR coupling cap with the Supreme EVO Oil) ?

What differences could I expect using Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil instead of Supreme EVO (Aluminium) Oil in the MR?

What values for TW and MR resistors do you suggest?

Ok, I will keep the MKP caps on the bass section.

Many thanks