A DAC that crushes price vs. performance ratio

I felt strongly that I wanted to inform the Gon members about a new DAC that ranks with the very best on the market regarding performance, but costs around $2,000.00.  The Lab12 DAC1 SE was compared to three reference level DACS that retail for over $12.000.00 in my review for hometheaterreview.com and was at least on the same level sonicly, if not better.  This DAC from Greece is not just "good for the money" but competes with virtually anything on the market regardless of price!

For all the details about the Lab12 DAC1 SE performance and what other DACS it was compared to take a look at the review.  If you are shopping/looking for a new digital front end to drive your system, you owe it to yourself to check this DAC out, unless you like to spend tons of more $ without getting better performance.
teajay
@ lordcloud

I am also curious about it.

My impression from the reviews is that Terminator has better scale and dynamics and Lab12 has more nuance like vinyl.

I placed an order for Lab12 two days ago but it is on 8 weeks wait.

It must be pretty popular or they can not manufacture enough or both.

Thomas
Let me add Lite Audio DAC-83 in this list , Fully discrete 1704UK Burr Brown R2R build like tank with massive external power supply , I have Denafrips Pontus and L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO , DAC-83 run Circles around these DACS in every aspect , more open, imaging , well balance top to bottom with hefty dynamic Bass. if you lucky may find one used under $1K .
@solo8008 

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lite-dac-83-versus-audio-gd-ref-7-8-9.513759/

It is interesting.

Good things are coming from China.

If I were reviewer, I would have a chance to audition GD 7,8 

I am curious how do they sound.

@solo8008 

Thanks for that recommendation. I will have to do some reading. As much as I read good things about the Terminator, it is always said that it is voiced towards the lusher side of things, even though it sounds great. I'm looking for more transparency than lush, so this may be interesting. 
Just got the Lab12 DAC1 SE installed and have been listening for a few hours... here are some early impressions.

I've had several DACs over the last couple of years - Weiss, Aesthetix, Wyred, Metrum, Theta and most recently, PS Audio (I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few). Of the DACs I've owned previously, I would characterize them as more similar than different, variants of a theme really. Could I identify them in blind A-B testing?  Sure, but the differences were not nearly as dramatic as changing speakers or preamp. The Lab 12 has a different sound signature, clearly a different breed from the DACs I've owned previously. It has an amazing combination of speed and detail, something I found with all my previous DACs, but it also has incredible dimensionality and slam. Timbre is spot on, vocals are nicely out in front, has a bit of warmth and sweetness without sounding overly thick or slow. It has much more 'you are there' feeling than my previous DACs... it honestly reminds me of everything I loved about my Atma-Sphere amps (I greatly simplified my system for an overseas assignment and did not bring any tube gear).

Having gone back and reread TeaJay's review, I completely agree with his characterization of the DAC and find it as extraordinary as he does. To say I am impressed with the Lab12 DAC would be an understatement - of all the DACs I've owned, it's absolutely my favorite to date. Of course this means little in anyone else's room, but I'm extremely impressed.

I did make a few changes from stock that should be noted - the stock tube was replaced with a 1950's Siemens 7308, fuse was replaced with one from Synergistic Research and I am using a WireWorld PC. I have no idea how these changes contribute to what I'm hearing, as I never listened to the unit in it's stock configuration.

Like anything in this hobby, YMMV...