The current best band in the world?

There is of course no such thing. There’s not even a best Blues band, or Rock band, or Jazz band, or Country band, or any other kind of band. But a lot of us probably have a "favorite" band, one we like so much it is our favorite irrespective of genre. And so it is for me.

A band is the combined talents of all it’s members, different bands having varying distributions of talent levels amongst it’s members. There is a band that has been playing together now for 16 years, and damn are they good. It’s Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives, and they are my current favorite band. All four members are extremely talented, and they work together as only the very best bands do.

Marty Stuart went on the road in a Gospel group at age 12, playing mandolin for the Summer before returning to school. He was caught in class reading a Country music magazine hidden in a history book, and explained to the teacher he would rather make history than read about it. He was expelled, so looked for a job. Lester Flatt hired him, and Marty went on the road with him at age 13. He worked with Lester until Flatt’s failing health took him off the road in ’78, then kicked around a little with Vassar Clements and Doc Watson. In 1980 he was hired by Johnny Cash, with whom he worked for years. Marty got himself a record deal, and put out a bunch of albums on MCA and Columbia. I met him at The Palomino (the legendary Country music bar in North Hollywood, where Dwight Yoakam got his start) in the early 90’s, and a nicer guy you couldn’t find. He owns a bunch of historic guitars, including Pop Staple’s acoustic and Clarence White’s (The Byrds) Telecaster.

Drummer Harry Stinson is a superb musician and singer, long employed in Nashville studios in both capacities. Guitarist Kenny Vaughan is a Telecaster ace whom I first saw live playing guitar in Lucinda Williams’ band, on the Car Wheels tour. He’s also a real good harmony singer, with his own recent solo album. Bassist Chris Scruggs, Grandson of Earl Scruggs, is an incredible multi-instrumentalist (a first-call pedal steel player in Nashville) and, again, good harmony singer. Country musicians grow up singing as well as playing instruments.

All these guys are seasoned pros, talented not only on the instruments they play, but also as ensemble players; those are very different talents. Their latest album, Way Out West, was produced by Petty’s guitarist Mike Campbell, he also a big fan of Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives. Great band name!

128x128bdp24
There are several (audiophile ready) crimson live recordings from over the years on Spotify. Not the most jolly music but top notch all around. The band is out of sight and current vocalist Jakko Jakszyk actually takes the vocals to a higher level than his eminent predecessors.

I had a chance to see them live in D.C. Last year and passed.  Regrets.  Gotta make that happen next time. 
In particular check out the fairly recent Crimson live set "Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind (live)". Awesome! 🙉

For those who like their country with a bit more edge, consider Jay Munly. Jay is a banjo player, guitarist, singer, and songwriter based in Denver, Colorado. He has played a significant role in the development of the "Denver Sound", music that mixes elements of country, gothic, folk and gospel. 
(Also check out Sixteen Horsepower's older stuff.)
Just read through this thread with the intention of nominating King Crimson (KC) and happy to see six others have beat me to it!!!

I've seen most of the bands mentioned (not the Stones or Beatles though), and seen KC 7-8 times, including twice in the last year.  The current line-up (and the request is for the CURRENT best band) is the best of the bunch.  Three drummers with full drum kits in the front row, with woodwinds/brass, bass, keyboards, and two guitarists (one of which is Robert Fripp) in the back row on a riser.  The power of three exceptional drummers playing at exactly the same time, if they wish, and all the other variants of drumming available to three drummers that they can imagine is jaw dropping (e.g., drum roles that pan from hard stage left to right and back again, that sound like one drummer).  And that's before the rest of the band kicks in.  Many elements of classical music and jazz are added to the rock foundation.

Check out "Live in Chicago" from last summer to hear what they can do.  "Live in Vienna" has even better sound quality.

Enjoy!!!

-docknow