Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
@stereo_gen.,

Thanks for contributing. I never heard of or even thought of Grand Funk being the America's version of LZ. I love Grand Funk!

When Heart was formed, their sole purpose was to be the female version of Led Zeppelin. This is really easy to hear once you think about it.

So many great bands how do you possibly pick one ? however thinking back when I was a kid growing up in Southern California it was the Mamas & Papas though I was in love with Michel Philips I still occasionally listen to their music .
Spirit, a band from the late 60's to early 70's may not have been the greatest but were pretty darn good. The album Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus was a masterpiece. Hey, and how about Frank Zappa and the Mothers. That said I agree with nearly everyone. Too many good bands to really nail it down to one.