Maximum USPS Money Order is 700.

In the Fraud-Dssman thread (great BTW), just about everyone recommends using USPS Money Orders to do i-net business. I just got off the 'phone with the USPS, and the maximum amount the USPS will write a M.O. for is $700., so on a $5K deal you (the buyer) would need eight M.O.s Is this a reasonable or practical way to do business? I say no, and that's where Cashier's Checks come in, ie for higher dollar purchases.

For smaller purchases needing only one or two M.O.s, they are just fine, but realistically, how many of us want to make out a bunch? Comments?

Interestingly, on two of the most expensive components I've purchased, the seller said a personal check (not a cashier's check) would be just fine, and that is what I used. This was after telephone conversations.

Also, apparently some people do not know what a "cashier's check" is. On at least three occasions (when selling), I've specified M.O. or cashier's check, only to have a personal check show up. In all cases the checks were good. Any comments? Craig
garfish
The REAL problem here is that it is TOO easy to duplicate almost ANY document nowadays. With the quality of "cheap" computer printers that are available, one could literally make copies that looked better than the originals. With this being the case, someone could get a low dollar cashiers check, scan it into the puter, alter the image via software and then print it on a similar grade of paper. Nobody would know what was going on until it didn't clear. Sean
>
I just sold a 3300.00 camera lens on ebay and the buyer sent 4 US Postal money orders which I prefer,it's like cash to me and I also work at the post office,so I get them cashed right away.look at it this way it cost the buyer 3.75 and thats much cheaper than a cashiers check which runs about 10 bucks or more.Remember it's only 75 cents a pop up to 700.00 and it's the safetest way to send loot.and the best thing is that there is no PAYPAL surcharge of 2% of your sale.So why bitch and moan about 75 cents pre 700.00 worth of MOs,so you get 10 USPS money orders at a cost of 7.50 to buy your 7000.00 component,try getting a 7000.00 money order or cashiers check for 7.50 at your bank unless you have a lot of BANK in the bank.
Vayasteve; As a credit union member, I get free "corporate checks" which are the same as cashier's checks. But your point is well taken. If someone counterfeits a USPS M.O. it's immediately a federal offence.
garfish: actually, the interstate transfer of any forged or otherwise false or fraudulent instrument is a federal (i.e., USA) offense, which, if repeated, also subjects the perp to criminal or civil RICO charges. -kelly
I guess I am missing something here. What is it that makes a USPS M.O. so safe? Sean's post sums up the way I look at any piece of paper that is used to pay for an item; every single one could be fraudulent. If a person is willing to risk his/her freedom, it would seem to me that it wouldn't matter to them whether it was local, state or federal charges that landed them in the slammer.

Am I missing something?