MAC Autoformers?

Someone is selling a MAC MA6500 Integrated claiming its superiority over the Ma6600 due to the fact that "it does not have the degrading autoformer design found in the MA6600". That is the first time I've heard a claim that the autoformer was a hindrance to better performance; I thought quite the opposite. What do you MAC Maves think?
pubul57
@ramtubes 

Roger, you wrote that "a typical 100 watt amp puts out 100 watts into any matched tap and somewhere around 75 watts into a tap mismatched by one step. In this case the tube are loafing along, distortion is reduced and damping increased. But this requires that the load does not go significantly below the tap impedance.

However going in the other direction where the load is lower than the tap impedance bad things happen. In that case the amplifier puts out less power, works harder and the tubes get overly hot to the point or radically shortening their life."

Let me understand better what you are saying.  If my speakers have a roller coaster impedance curve (4 ohm to 20+ ohms), is my tube amp "happier" if I use the 4 ohm taps.  I think you are saying that the amp may produce less power, but it will produced better sound with less distortion and less tube wear and tear.

I assume this is so because the back impedance presented to the output tubes off the primary winding of the output tranny will be equal to or be higher than the output tubes' output impedance.  

Is that correct?

BIF
Post removed 
BIF,

The tubes will be happiest if you use the tap that is equal to or lower than the lowest impedance of the speaker. So if your lowest is 4 ohms use the 4 ohm tap.

Although David Manley (rest his soul) believed that we match the primary of the tranformer to the tube’s impedance this is not true. Once again its all about the voltage and current that the tube is comfortable with. With that in mind, a reduced impedance will require more current from the tube. If the tube is already at max current minimum voltage (the correct place to be at full power) the reduced load impedance will demand too much current and cause a great increase in voltage drop across the tube and overheat it.

A 10% overcurrent may double or triple the voltage drop aross the tube increasing the dissipation by many times. Its a horrible situation. In fact the RM-9 Special addressed this problem by allowing the output tubes to go into AB2 mode thus saving the tubes. The speaker that prompted this was a Theil whose impedance dropped below 4 ohms in the treble region where loud trumpet music would just bake the tubes in a regular RM-9. The AB2 mode is also used in the RM-200 as i liked what it did.

For normal tube amplifiers it would be best to connect the amplifier to the tap that matches the lowest impedance of the speaker in the region where there is a lot of music.

Speaker manufacturers are not so honest about their impedance range and a curve is the only way to know. If they didn’t do so many tricks in the crossover we would not have this problem. The drivers are not the problem, the crossover is.

In my experience most speaker designers do not know much about electronics or care about what the amplifier may have to do.

These are examples of speakers that will not play well on low damping amplifiers due to wide impedance swings or very low impedance demanding excessive current. The density of music where dips occurr is important to how much the speaker will overheat the tubes. These are just in the order that I found them in Stereophile under floor standing speakers. I didnt have to look for long. these are the first 4 measured in order.

Connected to an amplifier with a damping factor of one at eight ohms the following will happen. Where the impedance approaches 20 ohms there will be a 4-5 dB peak at those frequencies. Where the impedance dips below 3 ohms the respoinse will dip 4-5 dB making a total error in frequency response of 8-10 dB. 

In addition if the low impedance occurrs where there is a lot of music the amplifier will current clip and the tubes will get hot.

Click on the link and open in a new tab for a good look.

The Wilson Alexia 2 is still a current-hungry design. Its impedance drops to 2.6 ohms at 84Hz (fig.1), and there is a demanding combination of 5.1 ohms and –44° electrical phase angle at 57Hz, both frequencies in regions where music can have high energy levels.

https://www.stereophile.com/images/718WAlex2fig1.jpg

Eggleston Viginti June 2018 needs to be connected to the 4 ohm tap and will work it hard in the bass where there is lots of energy. Also note how high the impedance is from 1Khz to 8 Khz where a low damping amplifier will cause a 4-6 dB rise in level making the speaker very bright on trumpet music and anything in that region.

https://www.stereophile.com/images/618EggAndrafig1.jpg

B&W 702  The 702 S2's nominal impedance is specified as 8 ohms, with a minimum value of 3.1 ohms

DO NOT connect this speaker to the 8 ohm tap. 

https://www.stereophile.com/images/518BW702fig1.jpg

Monitor Audio Silver 300, JA notes  "Although the minimum magnitude is 3.6 ohms between 150 and 170Hz and there is a combination of 5.4 ohms and –39° at 97Hz, this speaker won't tax the amplifiers with which it is used".

While this speaker won't tax most SS amps, it will bother a tube amp unless connected to the 4 ohm tap. (RAM)

https://www.stereophile.com/images/318MS300fig1.jpg