DAC OR NO DAC???

I am a newbie here and just getting into hifi and I am sure this is a dumb question but if anyone can comment and help me out?

I am currently listening to a lot of youtube music videos(quality varies) and tidal from my hp laptop via hdmi connect to a marrantz 7704. the 7704 seems to be decoding the signal pretty well. I tried a audioquest dragonfly red and it gave me some interference or something. ( maybe I needed the jitterbug to go with it?) so I returned it and just using the hdmi. Happy with tidal also but really like the music videos. One question is hdmi sound quality not as good as I could get? Can a dac help from this source? a dac to try that uses an hdmi? or should I just forget hdmi? A dac to try for under 500 or should I just wait and spend more? Thanks

My startup system consists of bw 804 d3's ( I do see where people say they are a little bright but so far I am enjoying them:) Marantz 7704, McIntosh mc207, bw 805d3 and htm1d3 for movies, fathom 212 that I turn up for movies and back down for music, source as described above and audio technical at lp5 ( I know it is a cheaper one but wasn't sure how much vinyl I would listen to but I am impressed with the quality of the new vinyl and sound I am currently getting compared to digital) -room 13 x 15 no acoustic treatments yet

rwrightcpa
I think I am going to hold off for a bit to research the dacs a bit more and maybe get a new pre.

I am pretty happy with my current setup for the time being, Its better than what I had before:)

Thanks again for everyone's responses.
I’m still waiting for my Lyngdorf MP-50 to arrive any day now. Can’t wait! Been using the Classe SSP 800 for almost 9 yrs now and it’s time to get rid of it as it becomes somewhat obsolete. And the Lyngdorf MP-50 with its Room Perfect will be breathtaking and will be a step up from the Classe SSP 800 when it comes to immersive surround sound movies (HT).

But I’m using my processor strictly for watching movies (4k UHD & bluray disc playbacks). I don’t use it for listening to stereo music. This is in my dedicated HT room. I have a separate dedicated two-channel setup and system in a separate two-channel listening room that consist of completely different gears.

So, I can only tell you how the Lyngdorf MP-50 performs for surround movies or HT. I have previously demoed the Lyngdorf MP-50 in a different HT setup and system before buying it. It was spectacular. With Room Perfect engaged and when properly calibrated it crushed the Classe SSP 800 for HT. I never tried the Lyngdorf MP-50 for stereo music playbacks though. I also only used my SSP 800 for HT, but I have tried the SSP 800 for stereo music playbacks before and it was great especially coming from an AV preamp processor.

The Lyngdorf MP-50 does not have stereo analog audio inputs, only digital inputs. This unit is purposedly built for HT. It only has XLR balanced analog audio outs, no single-ended outs.

You should definitely get the Lyngdorf MP-50. You can use its internal DAC for your stereo music playbacks. It has USB, HDMI, AES/EBU, spdif coaxial digital, Toslink optical digital inputs. This will be a major upgrade from your Marantz AV7704.

The Classe Sigma SSP is excellent for stereo music playbacks especially when using its USB input and especially considering its asking price but the Lyngdorf MP-50 is way better for HT or surrounds especially with its Room Perfect.
I just bought the classe sigma ssp mkII last night on ebay for 3250 delivered. I figured I can't go wrong a that price. I am anxious to try out the stereo play back from my digital sources to see how it compares. I guess I will just switch back and forth the preamp connections from the 7704 until I find another amp and try the ht hookups as well just to sample:)
caphill

If you don't mind me asking what you have in your designated listening room?

Your ht setup is to die for:)
@rwrightcpa

Congrats on your purchase!
The Classe Sigma SSP is an AV preamp processor, it isn’t a dedicated stereo preamp. It takes care both your stereo and multi-channels (HT).
And you won’t need your Marantz AV7704 any longer.
For your stereo digital music file playbacks just use USB cable to connect to the Classe’s rear USB DAC input. The Sigma SSP also has stereo analog audio inputs (XLR & RCA).