Projector VS some other type of HDTV

Looking to replace an older CRT HDTV with either a projector or some other type of HDTV. This is going into a former 2 1/2 car garage that has been converted into a home theater room.

Apart from the fact a projector gives a much bigger picture, is there any reason to purchase one over LCD or plasma HDTV?

The 'knock' on projectors is that they don't provide the crisp type of picture one can get with a LCD or Plasma HDTV, any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Thank You
sedona
I just bought my first pj and would not go back to a TV.I bought the new Sony model VPL-HW10 1080PJ which has a high lumen output and can project a 150 inch diagonal picture. Once you get a pj, there's no going back.

I went a step further and purchased an adapter from gutwire through www.uhfmag.com that lets you attach an aftermarket powercord to your blueray player for even a better picture.

Check out www.projectorcentral.com for pj reviews
I agree Moon, I cant see not having a PJ from here on out but some situations just are not right for them, I dont use mine daily maybe once a week or so but its like a treat for us to go downstairs for a movie, almost like a date sometimes. I know it sounds goofy but its true.
>Apart from the fact a projector gives a much bigger picture, is there any reason to purchase one over LCD or plasma HDTV?

That's precisely the point. It's not possible to get a theatrical sense of immersion from a one-piece consumer television that costs less than a nice German car at seating distances beyond what you have in a small living room.

By 9 feet you want an 80" diagonal screen, 11' 100", 13' 120", etc. and this is on the small side for scope films even with decent DVD transfers.

>The 'knock' on projectors is that they don't provide the crisp type of picture one can get with a LCD or Plasma HDTV, any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

At the same subtended field of vision the picture is no less sharp. 720p matches what you get on many 35mm release prints you see in a theater and 1080p beats it. That's fine.
I suggest you go to a showroom that has the biggest screen that your room will comfortably take with a projector in the price range that you are willing to work with. Once you do that, you can never go back to a television.

Go big young man.

I have a very nice 73 inch 1080p television. Once I fire up the projector and big screen, it is no contest, not even close. If you have the room, get a projector and screen. The whole idea of home theater is to try and replicate a comercial theater...in other words, to try and get big sound and big picture.
Sedona, it may be too ambitious, but another option is a CRT projector. They are VERY cheap now, and will likely provide a better image than any other option. I use a Marquee 8500 and (you can now get a nice one for $2k on videogon) and it far exceeds any of the displays that any of my friends get with their 'modern' projectors - one of my friends just bought a new $4k DILA projector (after much research) and the picture isn't anywhere near the same league that I get out of my CRT projector. The main downside of the CRT though is that you either have to pay to have someone professionally set it up and calibrate it (about $1k in expense) or you can learn to do it yourself (like me) - which is a bit of time and effort, but fun, if you like the technology and treat it as a hobby. I would love to get a digital projector for the convenienct, but so far they are very far from what my mid-end CRT does.