Let's talk Tweeters!

Another thread which talked about specific speaker brands was taken over, so I’d like to start a new one.

Mind you, I do not believe in a "best" type of tweeter, nor do I believe in a best brand of speaker, so lets keep that type of conversation out, and use this instead to focus on learning about choices speaker designers make and what that may mean to the end user.

There is no such thing as a speaker driver without trade offs. Some choices must be forsworn in exchange for another.

In the end, the materials used, magnet and motor structure, and crossover choices as well as the listening room come together to make a great speaker, of which there are many. In addition, we all listen for different things. Imaging, sweetness, warmth, detail, dance-ability and even efficiency so there is no single way to measure a driver and rate it against all others.

Also, please keep ads for your 4th dimensional sound or whatever off this thread. Thanks.
erik_squires
seanheis1:

Magico's are also Be (with a graphite veneer). Same Scanspeak motor. 

The Focal's use a micro-motor which I normally dislike. B&W also uses a micro-motor tweet. They are designed to draw attention to themselves. 

Best,

E
A friend sent me this to take a look at several months ago.  On Paper, it is one of the best tweeters that I have seen.  It appears to come from one of Morel/Accuton  designers.  Has anyone tried or even heard this?  They are fairly expensive. I'd love some info on real life experience. 

http://hificompass.com/en/content/bliesma-t34a-4-34mm-alumag-dome-tweeter
@timlub 

580 EU / $680m US really IS pricey. 

On the other hand, with that output level it would go well in high end professional monitors mated with low compression /low distortion mids and woofers. 

Shame the reviewers did not compare frequency compression
BTW, top-end AMT tweets measure as well if not better, but are in the same price bracket too. 
@erik_squires

Hi Erik, I have a pair of the Original Big Ess folded horns at home also and agree, its a nice animal, but much larger than a dome. What sets this tweeter apart is its size and what it does.
It has about a real world sensitivity of about 93 @ 8 ohms. It has a Xmas of over 3mm! Linear 1 way travel is 1.5mm.
If you use their spec of 2.83v input and an average sensitivity of 95, it is plus or minus about 1 db for its operating range.
With this Xmax, it can be crossed very low, they have tested it at 1.3k. This construction should have very low distortion. This tweeter should be able to compare with just about any dome out there.... And YES EXPENSIVE. But, you should be able to come up with some world class MTM’s in to 90 to 95db sensitivity.