Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

learsfool brings up wind concertos and just this last week listened to multiple performances of the Copland Clarinet Concerto -- always a favorite.

Was surprised by the fact that all three performances were superb. Rarely have I found a concerto that has received such splendid performances across the board.

And from the original performance by the dedicatee Benny Goodman, this work seems to have inspired the best in its area.

learsfool,

Indeed, welcome to the thread!
It’s good to have you.  I’m happy that you’re mentioning wind masterpieces.
I’ve enjoyed most of the selections you’ve cited for years.
 I would really like to get a recently remastered copy of Brain’s Mozart.
All I have now is a scratchy LP.
A neglected wind work which I really enjoy is Corigliano’s Oboe Concerto.
A brilliant work which explores the various incarnations of the instrument.
Burt Lucarelli’s recording is the only version I know of.  It’s probably still available, used, on Amazon.
Again, welcome to the discussion.
 Hopefully, we’ll have more participants as we go along.
I have been a great fan of Schumann since the 60’s when I first discovered Classical Music and also think his Konzertstuck is one of his finest .
I was VERY lucky to hear Hermann Baumann play it with the Leipzig Gewandhauss under Masur . One of the greatest artists I have ever heard live ! As good as it gets .I also heard Corigliano’s Oboe Cnt . played by the Minnesota live on FM ,
and like everything he does , it is very good .
I have wondered several times what happened to learsfool, esp. re this thread . I have no doubt that along with frogman and rvp he is the the best Musician on here .

My very favorite of all wind pieces is Carl Nielsen’s "Wind Quintet Op 43" . There is a wonderful recording on Nimbus with the Vienna Quintet which also has a fine Hindemith " Klein Kammermusik" .Nielsen’s " Clarinet Concerto" Op.57 is also very compelling, a fine recording with Frost and the Lahti Symphony is on BIS 1463 in very good sound as well .Nielsen, like Hindemith , is grossly underplayed ,at least in US .

Welcome Learsfool,

Goody goody, some new music (to me) to look forward to exploring, i.e. Corigliano and Hindermith which I have never heard. 

Learsfool, I agree re Strauss - Baumann's version has always been enough for me. As for Brahms, while I have a bunch of them I always seem to go to a Delos recording titled 'A Brahms/Schumann Soiree', a program which I thoroughly enjoy.

My modest contribution, based solely on my enjoyment, is Gliere's Horn Concerto which I have on a Chandos CD.

Hope you stick around, I've always found you have much of value to contribute. 

Schubert and rvpiano:

Concerning Bernstein

Was a music student, then professor in the 60s-80s. At that time, Bernstein was #1 on the orchestral heap and each of his recordings was an event by itself. Listened to all of them when they first came out. At that time, it was fashionable to disparage anyone that popular and even though several of the recordings made an indelible impression, fell into that "anti-Bernstein" camp -- preferring, instead, the "more accurate" efforts of Boulez and the like.

Then, last year, purchased the Sony remastering of all the non-symphonic recordings. Was absolutely FLOORED at how good they are. His gift was to tell the story of the score -- to make very clear the musical message in simple and direct ways. He believed he was making the music appealing to the masses -- and I think he did so to a great degree.

What is further appealing about these recordings is how good his orchestra was (an army of generals) AND how much they clearly enjoyed playing these works. This enthusiasm comes through with boundless energy and excitement. Often I get new recordings that are essentially perfect as regards notes and interpretation but the orchestra sounds cautious and does not seem to be connecting directly with the listener. Bernstein was all about connection.

SO I agree with Schubert concerning histrionics but think that is secondary to the Bernstein legacy. Check out the remastered recordings, especially the early ones. Would like to hear from you two what you think of his orchestra. BTW, he is particularly successful with American composers, notably Ives, Copland, Gershwin, and Grofe. To my ears, a number of his recordings are the best ever made.