Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, in Classical music a “Fantasy” (usually seen as “Fantaisie” in French or ”Fantasie” in German) is a musical work written in the style of, or meant to convey the feeling of, an improvisation. One of the key ways that a composer tries to achieve this is by not adhering to traditional “forms”. The composition then doesn’t follow many of the traditional compositional “rules” and so it conveys a sense of freedom. However, there is no actual improvisation and it is entirely pre-composed. As with all Classical works there is still much room for personal interpretation and expression in the performance.

In Jazz there is, as we all know, spontaneous improvisation (spontaneous composition). However, unless we are talking about “free jazz”, the improvisation follows the “rules” of the specific form and harmonic chord progression of the tune. One of the most important aspects of the concept of “evolution” in jazz has been that the more modern the jazz the more those rules were broken or certainly stretched; particularly in the realm of harmony or the way (note choices) that players improvise over each harmonic change (chord) of a tune.  

Gracias.

I asked the question because I was listening to this today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXcqDqaZo1o   

I was wondering if this was a piece that someone else would play the same as she did?  

On closer reading of the notes I see the Carmen Fantasy was composed by Pablo De Sarasate, not Bizet.  Just as you said, it's written down.

Thanks for the usual comprehensive response.

Cheers

Although I'm not a classical music fan, I could enjoy this recording of the Carmen Fantasies.

"Free Jazz" is utter chaos being passed off as improvisation. Few, but some musicians I've heard can play comprehensible music at blazing speed; that's improvisation.
“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Likewise, “chaos” is in the ear of the listener.

The problem with generalities is that there will inevitably be examples to debunk them. Not only are good examples of free jazz, in fact, improvisation, they are the ultimate expression of improvisation since they do away with the constraints of traditional form and harmony. Isn’t freedom in self expression supposed to be one of the main tenets of jazz? Please notice I said “ultimate” and not “best”. What is best is too personal and limited by the listener’s own sensibilities, sense of inquisitiveness and willingness to be challenged by art. Our personal limitations in those regards don’t apply to anyone but ourselves. In good examples of free jazz even if the traditional ideas of form and harmony are done away with, there is still interaction between musicians, development of ideas, tension/release, etc. and many other things that characterize jazz improvisation. Moreover, and especially for listeners who are tuned in to social issues and change, the relevance of free jazz in that context is huge and definitely worth learning about.

One of the most important recordings that pointed the way:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVOYDgXAn1KLppLy-ZWM9DfEFPsX2u6MM

There is nothing chaotic about that tune, and it's not an example of "Free jazz".