Receiver for B&W 702 S2

All

planning to buy 702 S2 for my living room. Given it’s in own living room, I am leaning towards a receiver over separates. 

Consumption is 50% movies and 50% music. I use on 3 channels + a funk audio sub. Music is mostly jazz, classic rock and a lot of guitar. 

I would ideally like to spend under $2000 on electronics. As of right now I was thinking about Yamaha a1070 receiver but have also looked at Anthem, Marantz, Denon etc. 

B&W and classe is a popular combination, but I didn’t want to spend that much money. 

It would be great to get some help. 
marrduk24
Hi, 

From my experience, I upgraded from a Yamaha 1060 to Marantz SR7012 and it was much better for both music and movies. The 1060 was very harsh on vocals...

Hope it helps..
You can hear a lot of the options in a Magnolia design center with the same speakers. I’d suggest just going there and listening to them. None of the options you list will sound bad. I’ve got a Marantz I use for music on my home theater and it sounds quite nice, as. Well as a Denon without separates that also sounds good. 
@marrduk24

I wouldn’t use an AV receiver for the B&W 702 S2, especially lower end to mid-level receivers. First of all, are you doing only 3.1 setup? Cause if you’re only doing stereo setup or 2.1 there are many good sounding stereo integrated amps for around $2k that will sound way better than any AV receivers. Many of modern contemporary stereo integrated amps will have a subwoofer output and some even have crossover and bass management.

The new B&W 702 S2 are great sounding speakers for the money when paired with good quality electronics, not an entry level or mid-level AV receivers though.
I’ve heard these speakers before at a local dealer here. I’ve heard them paired with various different electronics ranging from Marantz SR7012 receiver, Rotel RA-1592 stereo integrated amp, Rotel stereo separates (RC-1590 stereo preamp/DAC + Rotel RB-1582 Mkll stereo power amp), Classe Sigma 2200I stereo integrated amp, Classe Sigma SSP + Classe Sigma Amp5 power amp.
No comparison, the Rotel RA-1592 stereo integrated amp ($2500) way outperformed the Marantz SR7012 receiver. The Classe Sigma 2200i integrated or the Classe Sigma SSP + Sigma Amp5 power amp are even better than both Rotel RA-1592 integrated or Rotel stereo separates. Rotel will pair really well with B&W speakers especially the 700 series or the outgoing CM series or even the entry level 600 S2 series. They sound great together. B&W voiced and fine tuned their speakers using Rotel and Classe amps and electronics. The top of line B&W 800 series Diamond speakers were usually voiced and tuned using Classe amps and electronics.
But for the B&W 702 S2 the higher end Rotel gears such as the RA-1592 integrated or the RC-1590 stereo preamp/DAC + RB-1582 Mkll stereo amp would sound really good on the 702 S2. Or the Classe Sigma series, which is Classe’s entry level series, will sound even better on the B&W 702 S2.
Classe higher end series called the Delta series usually sounded really good on the higher end B&W 800 series Diamond especially the new 800 D3 series speakers.

Yes, the Classe gears are lot more expensive than Rotel but are in different league. The Classe Sigma series gears are quite a bit cheaper than the Classe Delta series gears but are still quite a bit more than any Rotel gears. But Rotel is really good for the money especially their amps. Today the newer 15 series Rotel gears make one of the best sounding gears in their price points.

But if your budget is only around $2k I would highly recommend the Rotel RA-1592 stereo integrated amp currently retails for $2500 brand new or unless if you can find a used one here on Audiogon it would be cheaper for less than $2k.
The Rotel RA-1592 has very good sounding DAC too especially considering its asking price and it is an integrated amp, not a standalone DAC. The stereo DAC, preamp section and the amp section of the Rotel RA-152 is way superior to those of the Marantz SR7012 receiver or any receivers including the high end ones that cost around $4k and up.
There are so much going on inside the AV receivers and they are not meant for pure stereo listening to music. Too many channels, video boards/hdmi, DSP, control circuitry, etc, etc are cramped into a single box that creates interferences, introduces noise and not mentioning the power supplies are shared among all of these individual components.

But if you’re doing 3.1 setup and must use an AV receiver that costs around $2k that will sound quite good for both stereo music reproductions and HT movies, I would highly recommend the Cambridge Audio CXR200 av receiver currently retails for $2k brand new. The Cambridge isn’t loaded with features and bells & whistles like those found in many Japanese mass produced AV receivers such as Denon, Marantz, Onkyo/Integra, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Sony. Actually the Cambridge CXR200 receiver is pretty bare bones feature wise.
When it comes to stereo performance for musical reproductions the Cambridge CXR200 sounds way better than the Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite or Sony receivers. Hands down.
Cambridge Audio is very well known for making good sounding budget stereo gears. But this Cambridge receiver isn’t equipped with automatic room correction software. But for stereo music listening the Cambridge CXR200 sounded really good especially coming from an AV receiver.

The other good sounding receivers especially for music reproductions will be the NAD T777 v3 ($2500) and the Arcam AVR550 ($3k or $3500). The Arcam AVR550 is over your $2k budget.

The flagship Anthem receiver (can’t remember the model retails for $3500) is also very good especially for HT or surround sound movies with its ARC2 engaged. ARC (Anthem Room Correction) is an Anthem’s proprietary room correction software and is considered as one of top notch auto room corrections software available for high end HT applications. The ARC competes directly with Dirac Live and Room Perfect.
But the ARC2 isn’t plug n play kinda of thing like the Audyssey. The ARC has to be calibrated on a professional level. But when set up and calibrated properly and correctly it is very effective. I would suggest you hire a pro or acoustician or your certified local Anthem dealer should be able to perform calibration for you.

So, everything being said, if your budget for a receiver is only for $2k then the Cambridge Audio CXR200 ($2k) will be a perfect choice and will sound very good for listening to stereo music than those Japanese mass produced AV receivers eg Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Sony.
The Cambridge CXR200 multi-channel performance for HT or movies are good too but it lacks a room correction setup software.