Affordable Processor with Fabulous 2 Channel ?

Gang,

I'm using my Mytek Brooklyn DAC as a pre for music and TV. It is fabulous sounding but I really would like to have 5.1 channel surround, and a single remote! 

Is there an affordable processor (used OK) that has at least as good 2 channel performance? Emotiva is right out. I owned one, and it sounded thin as paper. I note that there are a lot of Krell processors for sale at reasonable prices. 

Thoughts?

Erik
erik_squires
@corvette01

The McIntosh MX119 is a very old processor and was based on Marantz older processor (can’t remember model # but I think it’s the AV8003 or even older). The McIntosh MX119 is pretty much very similar as an older Marantz processor with McIntosh faceplate on.

Even the newer McIntosh MX122 processor was based on the Marantz AV8802 processor.
@erik_squires 

Yes the Bryston SP3 will be a great choice if your priority is stereo listening. 

I really don't know if the older McIntosh processors were based on Marantz processors.  I would highly doubt this.  As far as the newer processors (MX122 or 8802 or 8801), they are completely different architectures.  For one, the Marantz does have individual boards that have discrete audio stages for each output channel.  It also has completely different power supply layouts.  McIntosh likes to use R-Core transformers and has different stages of power supply voltage regulation.  As far as I can tell, all McIntosh processors use op amp for analog stages.

If you hunt for pictures, you'll see that the internals are completely different between McIntosh and Marantz units.  It could be that the original firmware of McIntosh was based on a Marantz code.  I have no idea on this.

@auxinput

Yes you’re correct. The McIntosh MX122 was based on the Marantz AV8802. They only shared the same hdmi audio video boards, DSP, firmware, GUI, OSD. McIntosh built their own power supplies, DAC, analog audio stages, etc, etc. But the MX122 was built on the same chassis as the Marantz AV8802.

@corvette01

The McIntosh MX119 is really old probably 15 yrs old or older whereas the Marantz AV7703 is a new modern processor. Completely different generation AV processors. A fairer comparison would be the Marantz AV7703 vs the McIntosh MX122 or the Marantz AV8802 vs the MX122. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Marantz AV7703 sounded as good as the McIntosh MX119. First of all, there’s a not a single McIntosh preamp or pre pro that I heard sounded great. They were dull, lifeless, too syrupy, lacking dynamics, attacks, PRAT, inner musical details and presence.

@erik_squires 

I will be selling my Classe SSP 800 in few months probably towards the end of the year. I will be upgrading to a new processor that can decode Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D, etc. But first I will have to start remodeling my home theater room in order to accommodate overhead ceiling speakers for Atmos & DTS-X setup. 
I'm going to sell my SSP 800 for $3k and it iś in mint excellent condition both cosmetically and functionally. Everything works fine. 
I have all the original accessories, box, user manual, remote, etc.
I've been treating it with great care. It was sent back to Classe in Canada once for service in Jan 2016. My SSP 800 was manufactured in 2010 but I purchased it in 2011.