The Klipschorn

Hi, what do you think of the classic Klipschorns? To some these are da best sounding speakers regardless of price. So why spending $10,000 while you can get the most dynamic and lifelike sound for less money? Maybe you think I'm slowly becoming insane, but for the true audiophile technique doesn't matter, right? If only the sound is natural and lifelike.
dazzdax
Hey Mike - I've paired off my Mini-Mites with my vintage Heresy's from the late 70's (metal horns and K55V/K77M drivers). Dynamat on the inside, same on the horn bodies, 3/4 MDF back (replaced the stock back and terminals), window caulking around the rear seal and driver seals. For the interior wires I used DH Labs silver and it was a big improvement over stock both in the Heresy's and in the LaScala's I have in my other system. The MiniMite+Heresy combo is killer for the money you need to spend on it. Used MM's go for around $600-700, and a good set of vintage Heresy's are only around 300-500. Good deals on vintage Klipsch stuff comes around at garage sales and pawnshaps all the time too. I have not been crazy about the Mini-Mites paired off with the Scala's in either my home or at work. Just more punch and less finesse. My expectations with the Scala's are SET high (pun intended).

Plato - An excellent suggestion; I agree you can get a taste of the vintage Klipsch sound with Cornwalls or Heresy's....and a rockin-out version with Forte's or Chorus (though I found the Forte's a bit less refined, and heavier on the low-end than the others mentioned, yet a very enjoyable speaker for not a lot of money). I've owned two pairs of Forte II's, Heresys and LaScalas and have pretty extensive listening experience with all of those with several different systems, as well as directly comparing many permutations in my own systems, while throwing in several Klipshorns, a Belle and Chorus that did not belong to me in other systems. Though the smaller Klipsch give you a taste, and are impressive on their own merits for less money, if you can afford the money/patience, and do have the room, I would always go with the Scalas or Khorns above all others. They simply compound all the merits of the smaller speakers into a fuller yet refined and effortless expression of the music. The one type of speaker I really would like to compare them to, that I have yet to try is a good single-driver design like Terry Cain offers. I have a feeling I would enjoy that.

Marco
I have paired my 2002 Khorns with everything from Wavelength Cardinals w/ WE 300bs to 200 wpc McIntosh solid state. I agree with the posters who recommend tube power with them, but I have found that I get the best performance with a quality push-pull design, such as CJ or the new Mac 2102. Granted, they CERTAINLY do not need the power, but they still sound more robust on the bottom. The Mac 2102 and C2200 tube preamp are a great pairing with Klipschorns and, most importantly, are VERY quiet. Any noise in the system will be magnified exponentially by the Khorns.
I recently purchased a beautiful 86' set of K horns. I was bitten by the curiosity bug as I have read so much good and not so good comments on these. Well I must say they are an amazing speaker. The sound is so dynamic and smooth. I am using a Krell Kct preamp, Evo 202 CD player with a Krell Fpb-400cx amp with high grade cast cables. I tried them with some Primaluna tube Amps but I prefer solid state as the sound is much more dynamic to me. This is a good lesson to me as to not believe what you read and to actually try out a product if possible in your system to form your own opinion. That's what's nice about the used market you can buy and try it out then sell if you don't like it and not take a loss.
Old thread, but the Khorn lives on ! With a few updates and modifications, they can be world class. Join the Klipsch community and learn how to extract all that you can, even thought you are enjoying them now. (Enjoy ! MrD.
Good advice
buy them reasonably, in good shape, address any issues
make a good faith effort to adapt them to room ( or other way round w wing wall corner ) and then listen - make up own mind.....
exactly what I did w pair of Cornwall’s.....
awesome rockers !!!