Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
I'll try to find out something from Rob about the 2.7 vs 3.7 failures. Same driver.

Thieliste, good investigation. In the day Thiel, especially the CS5, was very successful in Japan. Luxman amps were the clear choice in ultra high-end systems. They are seriously good. The amp you reference is still doubling into 1 ohm, and their engineering choices are musical (most Japanese amps are not, in my opinion.)
Ron, I see from the XO schematics that the higher input sensitivity of the 3.7 is due solely to its more efficient woofer. The 2.7 coax has resistors to pad it down to a less efficient 8" woofer with the same coax. No satisfying answers yet.
thanks Tom,  that is interesting if i understand correctly about the resistors.  when i sent back the last damaged coax to Rob,  he sent the replacement back with a resistor on the positive terminal.   to the best of my recollection,  none of the others had that resistor.  could the lack of that resistor make the drivers more prone to damage?
Ron, I don't have enough history to comment on your situation. I am far away and out of touch and coalescing probabilities from sketchy evidence. The detailed lab records are MIA and most of what we know is in Rob's memory. I am gradually back-engineering XOs and timelines from photos, previous suppliers input and whatever Rob sends me. Rob says that Thiel built all 2.7s in Lexington under his supervision, so he knows far more than I do.

The schematic that I created from an engineering layout shows the tweeter with a parallel pair (20+3) netting 1.3 ohms in the tweeter series feed. It is possible that value was adjusted over time. Rob would know his rationale and I do not.