Speaker Choice for Almarro 318B

Guys, I'm a budding audiophile looking to jump up to tube amps after a few years with an Arcam/B&W integrated combo. I've become smitten with the Almarro 318B integrated tube amp and now I'm in the market for some affordable speakers that will suit the amp better than my B&W DM 602 S3 speakers. The room is approx 14'X 16', hardwood floors with a small area rug, celings are approx 10' high. Speakers will need to be placed close to the wall. I listen to an eclectic mix of music that veers from noise rock to experimental electro acoustic to HEAVY avant metal ala Sunn O))) to more traditional things like PJ Harvey and Radiohead. I'm in need of a good speaker recommendation. I've been looking into Green Mountain Audio Europas, Zu Tones, Gallo Ref 3.1s, and the Omega Super XRS speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? If I had the cash I would get the GMA Callistos based on reputation, or the Zu Druids, but I don't think I even have the space for these speakers. I am leaning toward a used pair of Europas for $650 shipped. Should I take the plunge? Please help! I want a speaker that will be a noticeable step up from my current setup...Will the GMA Europas mix well with the Almarro 318B? Thanks!
mbleming
I've owned a 318B since August 07....look for a speaker match that's 8 ohm nominal and 92db or better and you'll have plenty of power to play loud...this amp does high frequencies like none I've ever heard and the overall tonal purity is very good...it's not a micro detail machine but a musical sounding amp...the power tubes take about 100 hours to settle in and then hold their bias without drifting much...the manual bias is very easy...just get a multimeter, it's not difficult to do. I like the amp and it's looks, only wish would be for a little more detail.
Larry
Interesting Larryken,

The bias on my 318B was always rock steady after the first ~30 hours. And I think I only had to adjust it twice in that time.

You used the exact term that I kept returning to as I tried to describe the amp to others - "tonal purity". That is the best possible description.

BTW, I just saw pictures of Almarro's new monoblocks from the recent trade show. I think they are Class A PP and use the same output tubes as the A318B. Yowsa!!!
Mbleming

FYI: You may wish to also audition LFD integrated amps from the UK. There will be a huge write-up on these in both Stereophile and Tone Magazines in the coming days and this company will have a buzz in 2008, as they are now entering the US market. I know many studio engineers at the BBC who claim that they are the best in class for recreating a rock sound. They are built around the same quality component build theory as Almarro (simple engineering and sterling components) and can deliver real rock performance with speakers like the Zu Tones. Gene Rubin Audio has just added this brand in So Cal and I would suggest you research this alongside Almarro.

The best rock speakers I know are ATC 19s out of the UK. See the recent writeup on www.sonicflare.com. They are a true industry standard for studio monitors and they play all genres well. Their little brothers are the ATC7s and 11s. Very precise--will play the source exactly how it is recorded--warts and all. I have been in the music business (live touring) for 30 years and I use the professional 150s for my work. Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones and 1000 recording studios use these--the best endorsement I can give you. I have worked with everyone from the The Clash, Sting, No Doubt, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc...they are critical to my business around designing lighting routines.

With that said, when I am off, I like a more relaxed sound around my home and both Almarro and LFD are the finest amps I have heard from home consumer electronic providers. I really like the 205 amp by Almarro--I bought this for my daughter and she loves electronica and hip hop. She has a pair of studio monitors by Paradigm and a iMod player from Red Wine Audio. Killer sound for about $1,500. I would also look at the Fatman iTube amp out of the UK.

PS: I like Zu but they only sell direct and they require 250 to 500 hours break-in. The dynamics can be very aggressive and they are not good for long listening sessions.

I think you will love ATC with your music choices matched to the LFD. Radiohead sounds incredible on these and you won't believe the bass from artists like Hot Chip or LCD.

I hear lots of gear at the Electronics shows and am usually a skeptic around audiophile products. In my three decades, they rarely hold their value and very few reach cult status.
You would be wise to buy around brands that are not the latest fashion. From a amp and speaker perspective, Harbeth from the UK, Bryston from Canada, NAD from China, Paradigm from Canada all deliver finely built components with price-for-performance. These companies have weathered many a downturn in the market and provide long-term performance (Bryston gives 20 year warranties). I think the best CD source is Sony Playstation 1 and I love the new Rega and Pro-ject turntables.

You can build a really incredible system for a few grand these days and don't get caught up in the tweak factor that dominates this hobby. The smartest thing you have done has found this site. It is a wonderful forum to research your options. But be wary of people like 6moons--they also take advertising from manufacturers. A lot of your choices seem to come from their Blue Moon Awards. Check out Tone Magazine and Stereomojo--well respected sites.
Bongofury,

Good information you've provided.

One area that I slightly disagree - your admonition re: 6Moons. In my case, no doubt that some items reviewed on 6Moons affected my decision to subsequently purchase these same items (Minimax and Raysonic CDPs, Zu Tones, and Micropure Kotaros) simply by exposure to their availability. These products must be competitive and won't survive on hype alone . . . especially so here in Hong Kong, wherein lay virtually the entire gamut of HiFi to sample. Some of my purchases/orders actually predated the reviews on 6Moons (Yamamoto H/P amp, Almarro A318B, & REL subs). Perhaps it's a case of gravitating towards the same sound / design - who knows?

It seems quite clear that they've a fairly good track record for picking quality products which also represent extremely good VFM. In fact, both the Project and Sony sources you've recommended where given very favourable reviews on 6Moons as well.

Accordingly, if one's tastes are congruent with those of a partcular group or site; then, in my book, this would help diminish the likelihood of costly mistakes over time.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Garry