Outer ring - who uses and what are your findings

Hi. 

I have been thinking about getting an outer ring to help flatten/couple/stabilize my vinyl as it rotates. 

Curious what your experiences have been. 

Thanks!

p
perkri
I use the VPI outer ring with the Stillpoint LPI. The combination is anything but a waste of time. 
I have a VPI SSM and use the outer ring clamp on every lp- the extra weight "bonds" the lp to the platter very effectively and the peripheral mass seems to even out even the slightest speed variations.  I have a wooden thread spool on the side of my rack to hold the outer ring clamp when changing sides or lp's.
Best way to flatten records is an SME style of system. Screw on clamp with a specially shipped bottom and a washer under the record.
25 or so years ago I had an Ariston TT, the "minimalist" round one (RD40?) which used that method. Very effective. Since then, I've made very simple mods to a clamp that accomplished the same thing: total flatness. It must be a clamp, not a weight, as it needs a positive grip on the spindle to hold it down.
Count me as another user of the VPI peripheral ring along with a Stillpoints LPI. Very effective or I wouldn't use it.  Like @lewm I mainly got it to add mass to the platter, but I can't help but think that if you like your platter mat then bonding it more tightly to the LP with a ring weight is a good idea. Is it a PITA to use?  Yes.  But in all honesty I'm not sure if that's a feature or a bug.... 

one thing that does truly irk me about it: fiddling with the weight to get it to sit evenly on top of the LP.  
I use an outer ring  from TTWeights with my VPI Scout when the LP is not sitting flat against the platter. I wouldn't give mine up but at today's rate of $1K+ for one it's cheaper to get a new record, if possible, or have it flattened. On a record that's not laying flat with just the clamp the outter ring makes an audible difference to me.