martin logan vs magnepan sound

I believe these are both electrostatics. Do they have very different "house" sounds?
samuellaudio
I feel that the current Summit do a very good job of integrating the bass with the panel. I have heard the Maggie 3.6 along with everything (but Alexandria) from Wilson, Vivid, BW, Linn, Sonus Faber (except Elipsa/Strads), Quad 2805 and I feel they run up there with the best of them. Of course, some speakers do some things better, but overall, I feel the current ML Summit offers quite a lot for the money. I, for one, was not impressed by the Quad 2805 in the setup I heard with Naim gear.

The bass just needs to be well calibrated for the room, the 25 and 50hz eq has to be optimized for each setting.

As for the Maggie, they are very good speakers, but I feel like there's a definite discontinuity between with the ribbon tweeter involved.
I like the Maggies. I chose 20.1s as my new speaker replacing ML Aeon i s. I listened to the Summits. They certainly have more bass, but I would not say better. I had to turn down both the 25 and 50 hz bass level settings. The Maggies had a larger vertical sweet spot for me. The Maggies image better. Had airier mids and highs. Just my opinion, both are excellent speakers you may just fall for one and not the other...
I owned Martin Logan Aries for years.
However, I currently use Bohlender Graebener radia planar ribbon 220i center and 420i mains/surrounds.
ML is well known and produce a good sound.
BG is what a speaker should be - sweet accurate musicality/movie soundtracks through the entire freq spectrum. I will never own anything else unless BG goes out of business.
As a bonus BGs are not as particular about placement.
As far as Maggies, I see them as having a sound closer to BGs than ML.
beware of hybrid speakers. i have heard bg speakers. they sound like two different speakers. there is a loss of continuity because of the difference between cone and panel.

i have observed this phenomenon with martin logans, vmps, innersound, soundlab and other hybrid speakers.

there is no free lunch. if you have dissimilar drivers, they sound like dissimilar drivers.

i forget to mention the smaller stand mounted speakers which have ribbon tweeters.

perhaps the best integration i have experienced is one of the floor standing piega speakers. i don't recall the model number.

i advise anyone considering a hybrid to listen carefully.
do not buy such a speaker without auditioning a pair prior to purchase. make sure your listening room has a level floor.