Your Favorate JBL's from the 70's

My first pr of JBL's where L26 then L110 and finally L220.
I was 17 when my mother purchased the L220's for me.I must say the police where called several times for load music and for my Mother I'm sorry for
all the problems caused by me and these concert hall spkr's.
What's is your story?
Mike
hiendmmoe
This is a great thread that brings back wonderful memories. I grew up in a house with JBL Paragons. My dad had them from 1956 to 2004, when he died. Amazing old school sound--Sinatra and Nat King Cole sounded great on those.

My dad knew JB and I got a pair of JBL Pro Studios, custom made, in 1979 as a college graduation gift. They were awesome paired with an old Dynaco amp. Every ten years I could send them in for reconditioning--no questions asked.
They really rocked in their day. I gave them to a brother a few years back and they still shine.
I loved my L100s. Sometimes I wish I still had them around just to relive some great moments.
MY KIND OF THREAD. First heard JBL's L-26,L-36, L-100's around 1974 or so as a teenager, played mostly on Marantz equipment with Techniques direct drive tables at an audio shop in erie pa.. (heard DSOM many times on these) One day I walked into the shop and they had a pair of L-200's hooked up playing the Eagles at a fairly low volume... one minute when no one was looking.. I turned it up and they exploded with such force and impact it literly scared me! a couple years after that really liked the sound of the L-112's I used to hear playing at Tower Records in NYC on 4th st/Broadway.
Nowadays: Yes I have a pair of restored L-200's and a pair of L-166 Horizons rebuilt and renewed.. a love/hate relationship as I have other much better loudspeakers but still enjoy the JBL's for what they are.
Anybody have the 3-way Aquarius?? always wondered what they sounded like.
As a young teenage audiophile I used to drool over 4311's, but couldn't afford them at the time. (Anyone know their original street cost?) I had to settle for the pair of Pioneer HPM100's I had, which a friend who did eventually get a used 4311, used to tease me calling them boom boom speakers.

I was recently in a friends apartment and saw he has 4311's which he still uses (I guess he had more money than me as a kid). He mentioned he was planning on getting them refurbished (which he often has done to fairly valueless electronics at considerable expense) I have advised him not to refurb them, but rather spend the money (plus some) on some newer but low cost audiophile speakers, possibly used. Any thoughts on this? He has a cheap reciever also from the 70's but I'm trying to get him to go for a Chinese tube integrated amp.

Well I guess in the end I have compensated for never having gotten those 4311's. My well chosen system (approx $50K) using OTL tube amps and the amazing Raven One turntable reproduces "real" sounding music, not just good hi fi playback. (you can see my virtual system if interested in what relative depravation in youth can spawn in later years)