Replacing Thiel 2.2's, Need Monitor Suggestions

I am completely satisfied with my Thiel 2.2's. They are transparent, detailed (sometimes unforgivingly so), incredible imaging, and solid as rocks. Unfortunately, my girlfriend thinks they are clunky looking and since we're getting new furniture she is wondering if there is anything smaller I could replace them with.

I should be able to get $900 out of them to put toward some smaller speakers. I'm considering monitors, or anything smaller and nicer looking (possibly a slim floor stander with a nice veneer.) I would prefer not spending more than $1000 on the speakers, and I don't mind buying used.

I am looking for the things that my Thiel's did well (detail, transparency, incredible imaging, large body of sound) as opposed to overly warm-sounding speakers.

You can use the links below my username to view my system. I'm still getting started, and my next upgrade will be getting a separate amp. Any suggestions for an amp to complement your suggested speakers would also be appreciated. My budget for the amp is no more than $400 used.

Thanks for any suggestions, and please don't answer with "lose the girlfriend." It's not helpful. All other advice is very appreciated.

-Dusty
128x128heyitsmedusty
I'm looking into the Meadowlark Kestrel 2's. It looks like they won't "rock" as well as the Thiels. Is that just part of the sacrifice of moving down in speakers?

I listen to Independent Rock (The Shins, Sufjan Stevens, Caribou, Decemberists), Jazz (Sonny Rollins, Cannonball Adderly, Dave Brubeck), Funk (Tower of Power, Cold Blood, Ohio Players), Bluegrass (Doc Watson, Greencards, Alison Krauss), Singer/Songwriter (Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, Elliot Smith), so my tastes vary quite a bit.
Dusty,

My thought would be a pair of Energy Pro 22 Monitors (second hand of course as they don't make them anymore). This is the speaker that put Audio Products International on the map. Incredible value. These monitors will rock. (You have to get over the low price stigma)

They first came out in 1982 and were selected as the refence speaker for the National Research Council facilities ( you may have heard of Dr Floyd Toole...). IMHO, Energy never surpassed these speakers...an absolutely brilliant tweeter that went down well into the mid range.

Only issue is you should be careful to drive them cleanly - like many consumer designs the drivers are delicate - 150 watts is plenty enough for them ...just don't play them with a clipped amp - even a 35 watt amp with heavy clipping could damage them real quick (although parts are still available), as the tweeter works pretty hard (low freq).
Given your taste in music, I would strongly suggest the new B&W 685 or any Dynaudio monitor you can afford new or used. I don't think you will be satisfied with one of the small floor standers mentioned except perhaps the Quad 22L (~$1300 new) compared with your current pair of Thiels. Dynaudio drivers are really stiff, so if you audition a new pair, make sure they are well broken in and driven with adequate power. In general, if you want anything approaching floor stander scale from a monitor size speaker, you better feed them lots of current.
Really good suggestions so far.

Also to be taken into consideration: I have a Velodyne CT-120 sub that I'm integrating into my system as well. Right now it only covers the very bottom (~35 hz) but I could adjust the crossover to fill in a little more if I have a smaller monitor. It's not the most musical sub, but it can add SPL where I need it.

-Dusty
Good to know! Just a reminder; subs usually work best the less they have to go up they frequency range and IMHO 2 are better than 1, even if they're smaller. If your using subs you might want to consider some of the smaller Dunlavy floorstanders or "monitors".