Dynavector cartridges, old and new

For more than 40 years Dynavector has been producing very high quality moving coil cartridges in Japan. Sadly we don't have a dedicated Dynavector thread here on audiogon. It would be nice to collect info about some nice rare models in one topic. 

My first Dynavector was high output model, very attractive headshell integrated as one piece - Dynavector DV-30A was released in Japan 1 year before the Karat series and 4 years before the fabulous Karat Nova. The first high output Moving Coil Dynavector DV-30 series was the next generation of the Ultimo cartridges. The Ultimo’s were manufactured by Onlife Research Inc., which later became Dynavector. The 30-series was introduced in 1978 with 3 different models DV-30A & DV-30B (HOMC) and DV-30C (LOMC). Till the early 80s it was top of the line Dynavector models.... 

But then the KARAT was released with short Ruby and Diamond cantilevers (depends on the model). I've been looking for KARAT for a long time, i found the Dynavector KARAT 23RS special calibrated version with Micro Ridge stylus tip and prism Ruby cantilever. This particular model has been introduced in 1988 and claimed to be superior to the earlier generation of Karat carts. I'd like to seek more info about this rare cartridge, but very little info available online. Anyone can comment on Karat Ruby 23RS mkI (not mkII) ?  

I know some mebers are enjoing the more expensive Karat Nova series, XV-1, XX-2, Te Kaitora Rua etc 

Modern Dynavector site is: http://www.dynavector.com/ 

But the rare models can be found here

128x128chakster
@lewm

- "D" is for diamond cantilever, "R" is for ruby cantilever.
- "MR" is for "Micro Reach" aka Micro Ridge stylus profile.
- "S" is for special calibrated models as far as i know

These applies to the classic models made up to the late 80s, the 17d2 is from 1988.

Earlier models from the 70’s does not have Micro Ridge profiles, they are not special calibrated, i believe they are not as good as the "S" and "MR" upgraded versions.

The "D3" and later models are modern Dynavector cartridges from the 90’s and later on. 
Andy Kim might know more; he retips cartridges, based in Seattle. I called him about a Koetsu Rosewood and Accuphase AC2. He was courteous and businesslike, but when I mentioned my 23R Karat, his entire tone changed — “Wow, you have a 23 Ruby? That’s a great cartridge.” Seems he’s a Dynavector fan, can’t hurt to drop him a line.

I’m scant on details about mine. Chakster knows far more than I, yet even he has some blank areas. It was NOS, I’ve put only ±30 hours on it. Cantilever is the ruby prism, with a line-contact stylus. But “line-contact” seems to be a broad generic term, without the specificity of a branded design, such as VdH. I have two Fidelity Research models, both called line-contact, but the Dyna is very different, much skinnier — the shank is as thin as the Shure Micro-Ridge. Could it be the Micro-Reach, without saying so?

The packaging is unclear; I think Dyna made many small changes but put them in older existing boxes with no change to the text. The 23R body clarifies little, it only has a tiny plaque on one side saying Dynavector, no “Karat” plaque as I’ve seen on some others. Could mean it’s an early model — or they ran out Karat plaques.

I hope someone can shed a little more light. All I know is that I share much of Andy’s enthusiasm...

Thanks for the clarification.
I noticed that the 17 D3 is not listed on the Dynavector website as a current product. In fact the only cartridges listed under the moving coil section are the 20 X2 and the DV 1S and T models. Yet I think you can still buy a new 17 D3. And I think you can buy the Te katura Rua as well, at least.
FWIW, there are two DV sites:  Japan and the US distributor.  US link here:  http://www.dynavector-usa.com/dynavector_dynavector.html.  The 17D3, TKR and others are all still available from the US operation although some may be NOS.  I've found them very helpful and responsive over the years.  Mike Pranko there might be a good source for background on some of the finer points of DV history.

As I recall, the Karat 23 was the first iteration and always had a ruby cantilever and silver body, followed by 23R, 23RS and finally MR 23RS (I think that's how the nomenclature on the label went).  The MR was the micro ridge edition.  The Karat 17 was presented in a gold tone body with the diamond cantilever.  I believe it went 17, 17D, 17D2 to the present 17D3.  I loved my 23s and was disappointed I couldn't readily achieve the results I expected with the 17.  I was very enamored of the short gemstone cantilever design.

That said, things change and the XX2 I have now is definitely a superior product to the 23 or 17.  
Thanks, effischer.  I own three DV tonearms, two 505s and one 501. Mike Pranko helped me out more than once to obtain parts for these tonearms.  Among distributors, he is one of the good guys.