Kappa 9. Parasound HCA-3500 WILL NOT power them

I purchased a pair of Infinity Kappa 9's a few weeks ago. I had the Infinity RS3A's and decided to sell them and upgrade to the Kappa's. I first hooked them to one of my Denon POA-2400 200wpc amps. Not enough power. So posted this problem on here and after some research I decided on the Parasound HCA-3500 350wpc dual mono amp. So I bought one from a real nice guy here on audiogon. I hooked it up last night and this thing won't power them! The amp gets real hot fast. It clips when turned up and the speakers sound like crap. We hooked up a pair of Infinity SM-152's to a Denon POA-1500 150wpc amp next to all this and it sounds better! Also, I think I blew one of the soft poly mid-ranges. The yellowish white rubber on the mids turned clear around the outter edges after listening to moderatly loud music. I'm really frusterated. Three thousand dollars later my stereo sounds way worse and I can't turn it up as loud as I used to. Does anyone have any advise? Could there be a short in the speakers? Why did my midrange blow? What amp should I buy now?
400bill
As a response to Darinkperih, I do not know if all the kappa 9's have the switch that you refered to. I believe only the last year model known as the (9a)had this feature. When I have run my speakers with an old Yamaha receiver, I use the switch. When I run them through my Adcom Mono's, I do not. They sound and look like new. There is a little too much hype about this amp killing thing. I have run these at extreme volumes without destroying either amp or speaker. I have thermal shutdown amps and I have blowen one mid dome which was easily replacable at the time.
I'm not quite sure why you were trying different amps, there is a major problem with the speakers. By ignoring that and trying other amps you are simply screwing up other things besides the speakers.

Chances are the speakers came to you with a problem, Kappas were an interesting period in Infinity design and depvelopment.
I think you need to check your speakers crossovers. I own the Kappas. For about seven yerars I powered them with Adcoms. Then a Marantz. They have a 4 ohm switch in the back if you're worried about frying the amp. Later I used Odyssey monos. The only problem I ever encountered was with the Adcom in the summer in an unairconditioned building. Even then it would just shut down.
Hi, I would check your midrange controls as they might have burned.
Try this URL for a PDF of the schematic: http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/technik/manuals/Kappa_9_technical_sheet.pdf
I believe that removing the huge series cap and shunt coil they have coming into the woofer curcuit would cure this speaker's famous bad reputation. I've removed them from several Infinity models (Delta/Gammas, RS II's, RS 4.5's) and it really helps the amp and to me, makes the bass a bit more quick and clean. Typically, amps hate capacitance. JAY
From what you described it sounds more like the loudspeaker. Call Bill at Millersoud. He repairs your speakers to the original specs. The crossover should be checked too.

If you experience a knacking sound in the midrange and tweeter it can also be the polyswicthes. Those protection circuits need to be removed. They don't work well within the age.

On the other hand a Parasound HCA 3500 can drive a Kappa 9 very good. I have had them to my Kappa 9's and it really sounds like your crossover is defective.