Preamps better than Parasound JC-2 ?

Hello,
I am looking to try out the active preamp route in my system. The TVC has served me very well. But when I want to play my wife's iPod or try to connect a Logitech bluetooth adaptor, there is simply not enough gain in my system.
Since I have a Parasound A-21, I am naturally looking to a JC-2 from Parasound. I was wondering if anyone on this forum as come across a killer (non-tube) preamp that is in the same price range, that can beat the JC-2. If the sound quality of the recommended preamp equals that of JC-2 and the cost is below JC-2, that would be preferred. I am eying the Oppo 105D or the newly released Yamaha CD-S2100 as my future source upgrade. Rest of my system is listed on this site.
I have not visited audio stores in more than 3 years, nor have I been to any trade shows, hence asking for feedback.

Thanks!
128x128milpai
Reviving this old thread. Since getting the new loudspeakers in place, I want to try an active preamp in my system. The reason for this is the new speaker has great resolution and bass depth and I would like to explore if an active preamp can enhance this experience even further.
There are 3 preamps that I am considering are:1. Jeff Rowland Capri S22. Bryston BP-17-33. Parasound JC-2And that is the order I have been recommended.Based on that recommendation, I started looking for reviews of the S2 and came across a review that really let me down on this preamp:
http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/jeff-rowland-capri-s2-and-12...

The latest Stereophile review of the Bryston is very positive and JC-2 is a well know preamp.
What are you guy's experience when it comes to these 3 preamps? Any other preamps to consider in that price range? Unfortunately this time, I cannot travel for any in-person demo.

I know that in the past people have recommended a Pass (XP-10/12?). But looks like it is out of my price range.
Any particular reason you can't do with tubes?
There are some excellent balanced tube preamps available.
Ralph,I have never had any experience with tubes. So never investigated into tubes. I am worried that when a tube goes bad, it might cause some damage to the system. Besides tube rolling is expensive and I have no experience biasing the tubes.What are your preamp suggestions on balanced tube amps in the $3-$4k range? Will they be compatible with the Parasound A21 amp?
Hi   @milpai 

I was on the preamp trail for awhile, tried a few and lost money on some.  I had a Coda preamp, not well know for pre's ,but really enjoyed it, but always wondered "why no love, there must be something better".
One pre that I heard was an SST Ambrosia,  It was organic, detailed, great soundstage and loaded with features, so I have recommended it many times.... most being around $4000 used, I never wanted to spend that much, so I never considered purchasing.  
I was also considering the Rowland Capri S2,  I came very close to pulling the trigger. I was then able to borrow an S2, In short, I preferred my Coda,  wider soundstage, more dynamic etc.  
Well recently,  I came across an Ambrosia in the low $3xxx.  I bought and have been enjoying it for just a couple of months.  This pre is a joy. A hint of warmth, detailed, wide transparent soundstage.  I did snag the older version, so I now have a world class phono section as well.  I the past, I had compared my Coda to a Pass X10,  they were more similar than different.  
 I'm not sure that this helps, but it has been a real experience trying to find a better pre on a budget.  
Good luck brother,  Tim 
Thanks @timlub 
Thank You for the suggestion.
What were your thoughts about the Capri S2? What were the differences you heard between the S2 and the Coda? Curious where the S2 fell short of your expectations. I known that Coda has very high demand in Europe and not in the US. There was one on sale here a couple of days back and I guess someone purchased it.