Holy Moly Blu-Ray Disc Players below $300

I was in a major electronics chain store last weekend and they had the entry-level Samsung player at about $300. But what really got my attention is that the membership warehouse stores have the Sony 301 (that's a 300 plus HDMI cable included) for under $280.

Makes me wonder if I should have just sprung for that Oppo DV-980H. I *did* get it partly for its SACD/DVD-A capabilities, though.
johnnyb53
Interesting point there Pzuckerman..........is the PS3 also an upsampling player with respect to std DVD? If this is the case then this may be the route that I look at for my new DVD player just in that it is sort of inexpensive and potentially one of the best low cost options to get you some really high def video while the other players evolve to where they should be. It is also interesting to me that since this is in fact more of a computer that it is so easily reprogrammed/upgraded.

ej
Interesting point there Pzuckerman..........is the PS3 also an upsampling player with respect to std DVD?

If by "upsampling" you mean can the PS3 upscale a standard DVD image to 720p or 1080i or 1080p, the answer is yes. When originally introduced, it could not; but this capability was part of an update sometime ago. I should also point out that the PS3 from its introduction was an HDMI 1.3 device, meaning if and when HDMI 1.3 deep color HDTVs are ever introduced, this player will be able to deliver the goods from such blu ray discs. You have it exactly right: the ps3 is a computer with the fastest commercially available processor available to consumer, even faster than processors in "real" computers. It has built in wireless and an ethernet ports, turning your TV into a web browser. One caveat: it has no multi-channel analogue outputs, only a Toslink digital and HDMI output in the digital domain. For SACD, you have to use the HDMI output, since Toslink does not transmit the SACD bitstream. Otherwise, I haven't begun to list all the features. Go to Sony.com, click on PS3, then Support, then Manuals. Read the Manual on line. You'll learn what this machine can do. I guarantee you you'll want one.
I have both PS3 and XBox HD players. I rent mostly. I cringe everytime I encounter a dual format HD DVD disc since I have encountered a number of defective ones. I have no use for dual format other than the fact that the DVD side works when the HD DVD side does not. I certainly am not willing to pay $35 and upwards for a movie even if quality control was not a concern. These dual format discs are overpriced and I think the studios project a desire for dual format that may exist for studio execs but does not exist at the consumer level. It makes little difference if HD DVD players are cheaper if you get gouged for the movies.

I clicked on the Amazon sales rank link mentioned above. When you subtract out PS3, Blu Ray is in trouble as far as hardware sales. Because PS3 is often purchased for gaming and not Blu Ray playback.

The actual DVD sales numbers are interesting. If you look at Planet Earth, released on BOTH formats; HD-DVD sells more of the same title than Blu Ray. Interesting.

I actually think the Panasonic Blu Ray player may be the pick of that bunch. As far as video scalers, I'd take a player with the Reon/realta video processor any day. They are in most but not all HD-DVD models.
Pzuckerman is right the PS3 was even ranked as one of the best blu-ray players. It's new software makes it 1.1 compatible and it can play some Divx movies. You have to purchase the 80Gig for the SACD the 40Gig won't do it. I also read somewhere that is is a good cd player as well using it's stereo outputs. It is also a music server. The hard drive can be enlarged. It has a wireless network adapter and plays hi-def games and browses the internet. If you are thinking of getting into blu-ray, the PS3 should be on your short list very close to the top, even if you are not a gamer.