Thumbs up for ultrasonic record cleaning

My Cleaner Vinyl ultrasonic record cleaner arrived today and it’s impressive.

Everything I’d read indicated that ultrasonic was the way to go, and now I count myself among the believers. Everything is better - records are quieter, less ticks and pops, more detail etc.

All my records had been previously cleaned with a vacuum record cleaner and were well cared for. Nonetheless, the difference is obvious and overwhelmingly positive.

Phil
phil0618
@bydlo 

Just some friendly suggestions to help out, I'm not playing any games here.

Your rotation is too fast (try a fifth of that speed), your rinsing is only one stage (try 4), and your temperature is only 33C (try 40-45C).

Also, make sure that there is enough space between the records and between the records and the sides of the tank (4 cm for 40KHz, 2 cm for 80KHz). More space is better, as it allows for records that aren't mathematically perfect planes, e.g. warped or temporarily warping in the bath. Makes sure that there is enough energy (50W per record).

Good luck!
@terry9

1) Rotation - I know! See my posts.

2) Rinse - it’s 2 stage :) see above

3) I’m a bit afraid of passing 35C

4) Spacing - I use 6L 150W cleaner with 3records max but at 70% power. The central record is 37mm (the 40Khz wavelength) to both side records. Side records about 30-35mm to the tanks side. Could be more but I can see the ultrasonic action clearly in all the spaces.

On Kirmuss - he seems to go pretty much against all the usual US considerations. Perhaps he is right, I’m not judging. But its seems that in semiconductor industry, where they are most preoccupied with damage, they go not for 80kHz but for 800kHz to eliminate cavitation altogether and rely on acoustical streaming as the main cleaning mechanism. If I’m to buy another tank, I think I’d give 80khz a try, given that I pre-clean with vac anyway so no need for the stronger cavitation power.