How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
If your talking about the Aleph L there are two versions. This mkII passive patent pending one as he puts it:
"The only component in the signal path is wire and switch contacts."
Then it becomes active when the volume goes beyond 3 o’clock.

Cheers George
Post removed 
In my experience, I thought I was looking for a magical mystical linestage that money could deliver, but I was actually trying to correct abnormalies in the speakers.  When the speaker were great, direct from DAC was glorious...but still open-minded.
It is a provisional patent, which has maybe been granted by now on this special circuit, he may not have given the secrete to how he bypasses the "active stage" in the the schematic so it runs totally passive, after all it is patented. I've seen other manufactures post schematics and leave out their special circuits. Why no Nelson.

His words
 "The only component in the signal path is wire and switch contacts."
This means nothing active in the signal path.
Same goes for my Lightspeed Attenuator there is nothing active or any switch contacts in the signal path just a passive ldr, yet it is powered by the mains for the leds to function. Yet it is a passive preamp with no gain.

Cheers George
Post removed