How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
Well I got the pass preamp and to me it sounds a bit thin on the bottom compared to no preamp. The vocals aren't as warm and there is not as much Bass. Crap.

<< sigh >> yeah. If ever there was a brand I wanted to love based on their history and looks, it would be Pass. 

E
“Well I got the pass preamp and to me it sounds a bit thin on the bottom compared to no preamp. The vocals aren’t as warm and there is not as much Bass. Crap”

As posted earlier - for adjusting the sound and for fine tuning - get a tube preamp. Very little benefit to an SS preamp except that all decent ones should be transparent to the point of being not too different from stock SS sound from an SS device.

For example, a tube preamp with 12AX7 tubes is going to be highly configurable by rolling tubes and those tubes are not hugely expensive and there is a wide selection.

Luminous Audio Axiom mkII $199 (passive) - most impressive and significant upgrade in sound quality I've yet done to my main rig.  The best explanation I can come up with is the old audiophile cliché: it was like lifting a thick wet wool blanket off my speakers and my system already sounded spectacular and extremely resolving.

technics SL-1500mkII > Denon DL103 (re-tipped by Sound Smith and housed in modified wood body) > Jolida JD9 > Loung Audio Copla MC SUT/head amp > Axiom mkII > NuPrime STA 9 > Tekton Uruz speakers

*the Axiom has replaced three preamps I still have:  Accuphase C200, Jolida 3000B and a heavily modified Dynaco pas tube, all of which are fantastic preamps.  I have the 'base' model Axiom which means it's just one input and one output and volume control.  More ins and outs add to the price and they offer a 'Walker mod upgrade' which is supposed to be amazing but they run from $199-$999 depending on options.  Spending $200 to try one is well worth it as I will be getting one with more ins and outs very soon.