JL Audio e112 or HSU ULS MK2

Hello everyone,
Trying to decide between dual JL E112s or dual HSU research ULS mk2. Price difference is big but what about performance? Does any have any direct experience with HSU subs? I’ve heard great things about HSU but never heard one in person.

I do 75% movies 25% music.
Thanks in advance.
danimaz
@bdp24: you said:
'Rythmik 18" (sealed or ported) would be killer. Massive output, with the same sound quality as the 12" and 15" models.'
sounds to me like a recommendation.....You can stop posting if you want ;-)

@contuzzi:
Can you please elaborate a bit more than just saying e112 is dramatically better? Data from data-bass is not in favor of e-112 when it is compared to either Rythmik or HSU. 
@jeffrey75
My room is known for swallowing low frequencies. The footprint is 14’x17’ but the ceiling reaches 17’ for the whole room and is open to the second floor and the rest of the house. (wide open floor plan).
I have the ULS-15s set up to the outside of each speaker (KEF 107 Reference). One is in the front right corner, the other is against the front wall, but has no wall to its side. As mentioned earlier, they are EQed using the SVS AS-EQ1.Since the KEFs dual band-pass loaded 10" drivers can be tuned using the Kube EQ, I have more flexibility than most in tuning the low end.

My setup is mainly for music. As far as subs (any brand) are concerned, I feel they’re a little harder to convincingly integrate for music than movie effects. Before adding the SVS EQ, I did have a hump around 25Hz on the right side of my room. The EQ-1 was able to flatten that hump and the response across the range.

Before adding the KEFs to my system, I was using a pair of Gemme Audio Tanto IIs which were a great speaker, but didn’t have quite enough weight, and I relied on the subs a little more for the lower frequencies. When I swapped to the KEFs I re calibrated the EQ-1, and found that the ULS-15s don’t need to work as hard.

As for the sound, I’m completely satisfied. You cannot tell the ULS-15s are even running since the integration with the KEFs is spot on. While the KEFs are ported (near the neck of the speaker) I am a fan of sealed designs, especially for subs. I feel the bass is tighter, faster and more to my liking for music than ported designs. But, the ported designs seemed to work just fine if you want the effect of dinosaurs smashing through your home theater.

Since the OP is looking for a home theater sub(s), I feel the ULS-15 would be more than suitable while saving money over the JL option. It’s an $1800 price difference, and I personally don’t believe that (for movies) you’d be able to justify that split in any noticeable difference in performance.

For the price point of the JL (apx $1900 per) I’m more likely to recommend the SVS SB16 for the same money. I owned a pair of their SB12+ when I was set up in a smaller room, and was very happy with their performance. I kind of regretted selling them. I believe they still have an in home trial period, and the SVS team stands behind their product.

I hope this helps.
@bdp24  I thought you were gonna stop posting. stop sounding like an old angry 80 year old dude! 

Hi Danimaz

I have an HSU VTF-3 MK4, since 2010. It came with a test disc containing a true 16hz pipe organ signal from Saint Seans pardon the spelling. It has two ports and can be plugged or just one at a time. The Q adjustment can vary if you want the so called fast sub but really just either extends the low end or not. Subs don't do transients. It has snap and is well damped. It performs very well considering the price. If you are not a novice, I am sure you can tune it in correctly for both your speakers and your room. 2 of them would blow out your windows if you wanted. Save your money and try HSU you won't be disappointed. If you want very fine and money isn't an object try Bag End.