Favorite H H Scott Tube Integrated Amplifier

I just purchased an H H Scott 222c integrated amplifier on these very pages. Wow, it is hard to believe that this thing was built in the early 1960's. Using it to drive Rogers LS 3/5a's, the palpability and realism on vocals and lead instruments can be startling at times. It totally blew away some highly regarded solid state gear I was using previously.

H H Scott made other integrated amps with different features, transformers, output tubes and power ratings. I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences with this and other models. I think that this gear is very under-rated, and can stand up favorably to many more expensive modern efforts. Do others agree?
johnnybgoode
Just picked up a 222c, needs filter caps, I'll boost them by at least 100% tightens up the bass, keeps the mids clear as the volume goes up. I'll probably go with auracaps for coupling caps- this has worked wonders on other Scotts I've moded. May raise the B+ for the line stage (see my article in Glass Audio vol 1 issue1) and then increase the load resistors.
Be glad to let you know how it comes out- been working with these and other CLASSIC amps for 20 years.
This is a very interesting thread, filled with insightful comments. I have an old Scott tube integrated amp that I'm thinking about trying to get up and running again. When I say that I "have" it, I should actually say that I have access to it -- It is somewhere in the rafters of my father's garage, where it has been stored for twenty years or so. I'm not sure of the model number, but based on my review of the HH Scott web site and my childhood memories I'm pretty sure it's a 299A or B (I think it's a B based on the cosmetics, but I won't know for sure until I get my hands on it). My dad purchased it new around 1960 or 61 and used it until the mid '80s when he replaced with some Japanese SS mid-fi receiver. (Sadly, he probably thought that he was upgrading at the time...) He tells me that it was still working when he retired it, but he recalls that it had developed a slight hum. Happily, he kept it and is not interest in restoring it himself, so it's mine for the asking. Perhaps my memories are clouded by time and nostalgia, but I still remember the incredibly great sound of my dad’s ‘60s-’70s system, which included this amp, a Scott tuner, turntable, Ampex reel-to-reel, and a pair of horn-loaded corner enclosure speakers (not Klipsch, I think that they may have been Electro-Voice). I caught the audiophile bug listening to this modest system as a kid, and I suppose I’ve been chasing after its elusive sound ever since.

Based on these fond memories and the many favorable comments here and in other forums, I'm very much inclined to restore the Scott amp. I've done a bit of research and I’ve seen nothing but positive reviews here and elsewhere for both Ryan at HotGlass and Craig at Nosvalves. Karavite, I noticed above that you indicated that you were going to use Nosvalves for your 222, but ended up going with HotGlass instead. What influenced your ultimate decision?