Your Side by Side Experience With Best Vintage vs Newer Expensive Hi Tech Speakers

Has anyone here ever done a side by side comparison between Tannoy Autograph, Bozak Concert Hall Grand, EV Patrician, Jensen Imperial Triaxial, Goodmans, Stentorian, Western Electric, Altec A4, Jbl Everest/Hartsfield/Summit/Paragon/4435, Tannoy Westminsters, Klipschorns vs the Hundreds of Thousand even Million Dollar speakers of today like Totems, Sonus Farber, BW, Cabasse, Wilsons, Dmt, Infinity, Polk ...etc
vinny55

Hi vinny55

I want to answer your question about tables but first I’d like to make a comment about the other fella’s post.

Kosst

It might be helpful if I introduce myself to you. My name is Michael Green. I work in the acoustical, mechanical and electrical field developing state of the art vibratory transfer and tuning components. Most of my work is in the music business, but I also meet and consult with some of the most up to date and modern technologies in other industries as well. Tonight for example I was meeting with engineers for the medical profession discussing tuning MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) machines. If you look at my resume and history you will see that I work in the areas where fundamentals and harmonics work together to provide the most efficient results.

In the audio world I keep pretty up to date, and have needed to for the last several decades. I’m not about High End Audio fluff my associates will tell you. I say this because many recordings are sent to me every year both old and new so I can tune them to specifically see if they are bad recordings or not, or bad sources or not. Fact is very few recordings are bad recordings or bad copies of recordings. Usually with some tuning every recorded code can be revealed. However if you don’t have a system that is variable you will only be able to play successfully a few recordings’ codes. It doesn’t matter if a speaker is 40 years old or built yesterday, the same methods and paradigms apply.

I’ll be happy to demo this for you.

Hi Vinny55, ok to your question.

If you look back in time, or better lived through it, you will find different eras where designers and engineers excelled over other times. This is important in our hobby because we are talking about music and there are always those guys who are music making gurus, and all of these gurus have their perfect moment. Most of these audio experts make their very best product and then are asked to make something that is more accommodating for particulars among their clients. It’s very common for the base model design to out perform that same designers flagship or sexy looking models. Huge compromises come with looks in audio, also price tags. Again around the mid 90’s you can see this come into play almost across the board. I knew many of these designers personally and would not put them on the spot or ruin their sales pitch, but if any smart camper looks at the product lines’ histories you can see this taking place.

The way to tell if a product has been over built or designed is to do what we have talked about here. If your a TT guy, go to your used record shop and pickup 20 different recordings, from different times. There’s no reason why all of those LPs (condition good of course) would sound anything but great on a flexible rig.

It all goes back to when designers lost the ability to design products that played harmonics as faithfully as fundamentals. Now a designer who has no idea what I just said, is not going to be able to play a wide range of recordings. Does that make the recording or copy bad? Of course not. It means that the playback system is limited. That system more than likely plays some recordings great and the rest poorly because there are no adjustments for him to make, or he doesn’t even know systems can be tuned. And if any audiophile doesn’t know they can tune a system, honestly they’re not very far along in the hobby (ending their learning curve too soon). I fault reviewers a lot for this malpractice in the hobby. I toured for 3 solid years for free tuning up systems and was on call for as many folks as I could get to. This is covered in the issues of Stereophile and TAS and all the others. People can go back and read all about it. It was called "the tuning revolution". It was the right time for the High End Audio to advance, but they chose the money route instead.

If this hobby would have continued in the method of tuning High End Audio would have a completely different look and function today. High End Audio would also have systems that played all music to a higher level of performance, instead of thousands of systems all playing something different and all claiming to be better than the other. There’s absolutely no way I would invest another dime in audio until I explored tuning. It’s just throwing good money away. Many of your fellow listeners have been tuning for years.

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

Pretty inexpensive experiment for those wanting to dip toe into Vintage ( but hyper well engineered speaker including hand tuning ) try a pair of Dynaco A-25 on solid metal stands....
SEAS drivers......
something like a million pair out there....

i have a pair in walnut 
@tomic601 i got me a pair the other day.  Some say sweeter than the famous Ar3as
Post removed 

Ok Kosst, lets look at this through your glasses then.

"Flexibility? Most speakers these days are intended and quite content to not be driven by electronics with tone controls."

Really? Name one.

"Does anybody even build speakers with tone controls built into them?"

www.michaelgreenaudio.net It’s called a Tuning Bar.

"Flat response is a fairly narrowly defined idea these days."

Correct, because it is an inaccurate assumption. Speakers can not be made to be flat in playback without equalization. This has always been the case old or new.

"Having built an amp with only a DMM for test equipment, I’ve had no option but to listen very carefully and learn what distortion and it’s phase sounded like."

With all due respect, that was with one specific set of conditions. But it’s cool that you built an amp. I think building amps teaches us a lot about the amp/speaker/room interactions. However where exactly does the rose color glasses come into play here, if you don’t mind me asking?

What specific drivers and or speakers do you consider the most up to date? I have several of them sitting right here in my possession, maybe we can talk more specifically.

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net