If $ was no object what speaker would you buy?

Products of the year award in TAS of March of 2006 gave the top award to MBL. When TAS staffers were asked which speakers they'd most like to own, virtually everyone from music editor Bob Gendron to Ceo Tom Martin(who actually does own a pair) would answer : the MBL 101Es.IMHO the MBL's sounded closest to me what a live event sounds like, it was amazing. They were so pleasant to listen to that I even appreciated music that I typically didn't like prior to hearing it on MBL's. For me that is significant, it provides me with an opportunity to start appreciating other genres.
In the same issue there is a pressing article suggesting that makers of high-end audio could be in financial trouble. In the same article the panel discusses how to get the word out about high-end audio, and how to increase the number of people interested in buying high-end audio equipment.
I believe in the awe effect, if the audio showrooms could display a playback system that simply awed the newcomer, they just may be swayed to make a purchase before walking out.
Perhaps we can get the attention of audio engineers and designers and suggest that we audiophiles have discovered a music playback system that awes us, and are willing to purchase a system of that caliber providing it is within our means.
For some of us MBL has got what we want. For others it may be another brand. Maybe in the near future we can find affordable speakers that will near that magical sound that our favorite super expensive speaker have.
What speaker would you love to own that is out of your price range. The speaker you would like to see used as a reference point for engineers and designers to make an affordable model yet completely awesome.
Then maybe they can be used to catch the attention of non-audiophiles at demonstrations of high-end in shopping malls or luxury car dealerships.
pedrillo
Acapellla Sapoahrons (on sale used for $77,000) look like the may have all, the Advantegardes have plus a super sophisitcated ion plama tweeter (that won't make you sick like old Heilco( frp,m 70's was that the name?).But there is one guy who has the smaller version in the "systems" and just from look,teck dscription etc they would be ebeyr interesting to listen to.Other chjoice would Rockport Antares with the insanely priced turnatable they m,ake to go with it that Stereophile made a new "A+" designatopn for.But as I was reading in Streophile there is a point of diminishing returns andthe majic dollar number seems to be about $20K.Abvantegardes,Avalon Eidons and the new top of the line Joseph ands Arriel seem to all the speaker andbody would need or could use.Unfortunately my budget seesm to be between 1/10 to maybe 4 times that.Beyond that I'd put dought into other parts of system and then other things novel liike savings for when sociual security runs out and elderly medical care.Trivial things like that.And I'm a wee 41 so one hopes that end of life care isn't around the corner.$20K should be enough to puit together an ENTIRE system that totally rocks especially if one usees A'gon and buys the right parts of it used (maybe not a cartridge which I never would trust or digital whjere you'd like some warranty.
Chazzbo
i recently got to audition the wilson alexandrias, perhaps the 2nd best speaker i ever heard (the wilson WAMM was #1).
funny, i might be able to afford them if it was THAT important to me to own a pair. but right now i have eggleston andra-2's, and when i came home from the wilson dealer, i listened to the same cd's, and the andra's were actually just as good in conveying the musicality and the emotion of the music as the $135k wilsons. perhaps one of the reasons (beyond personal bias) that i feel this way is because i have invested heavily in transparent cable, and have connected every component with ref-MM; all i can say is the folks at transparent know what they're doing- these audio cables have added another octave of bass, and added an openess and fullness to my system i wouldn't have thought possible- but i also can't recommend that people spend this kind of money on wire unless you're as crazy as i am.
anyway, sure, the wilsons threw a huge stage, and were great at dynamic swings,
the music floated all over the room, etc. in fact i was shaking my head in disbelief that they could be so good.
but OTOH, the system i have at home is 95% as resolving and most important, just as involving. would von schweikerts or something else do an even better job? (the MBL's image great too, but can they communicate what the musicians are feeling any better?) i couldn't say, but perhaps you reach a point where, other than getting an ever bigger-sounding system with an "amazingly huge image", you've arrived at a level of musical involvement where those factors don't have that much importance anymore. and i've always felt that speaker designers can build a great sounding product, even a "reference" product, without boasting that they cost as much as a mercedes (or two). anyway, i'm just as suprised as anyone, and it's just my opinion anyway, but perhaps i'm done looking around for something that will "blow away" what i already have. and it's time to go put on some music...
Magnepan 20.1. But, money would really have to be "no object" as I would need a new and bigger house to put them in.
Intuitive Design Denalis with Dale Pitcher himself tweaking them to perfection, on site. They'd be in a room that he designed and built, with all of his best electronics and cables, and they'd have their own dedicated electrical circuits and transformers. And I'd have time to actually sit down and listen to them, uninterupted, for at least an hour at a time. And, and, and.....Oh, never mind.
-Bill
I think Sdcambell hit it on the head.

For me it would largely depend on my room. Is it dedicated or a living space?

Room acoustics would not be an issue, there are ways around this. But the size and decor would play a huge role.

Personally if it was a medium-large sized room I would go with the SF Amati.

This speaker is the ideal speaker for me and one day I will own it...when i'm out of school and rich ;)

For now my Totem Arro's and Blue circle CS integrated serve me just fine.