Speakers "Disappearing"

I have read a lot about speakers "disappearing" so that one can't tell from where the sound is emanating. But, what about all the stereo tunes where the recordiing engineer intentionally pans the music to come from one side or the other? Can the speakers be made to "disappear" in that situation? Or, is it just the nature of the particular recording?
rlb61
I have found that the openness of your electronics, your speakers and room acoustics are all factors regarding your speakers being able to disappear. I have a simple Michael Green Audio system using Roomtunes for acoustical tuning of the room, which is not symmetrical. I can tune for a focused or expansive soundstage. My speakers disappear when I'm listening near field, mid field or far field and the soundstage extends outside the speaker positions. If you want you can get info on this approach at http://tuneland.techno-zone.net.
@kosst_amojan

The two biggest factors in whether a speaker images well are how inert the cabinet is and the space around it.

I’ve heard speakers from the "let the cabinet resonate" school do excellent disappearing acts.

In fact I once had the Shun Mook Bella Voce speakers, a paradigm of thinner walled, incorporate speaker resonance approach, and few speakers I’ve heard soundstaged and "disappeared" like those ones.

Guitars or voices etc hard panned to one speaker would still "float" behind or around the speaker as if it weren’t coming from that speaker.

The Harbeths I had did a pretty good job of disappearing as well. Not as well as my Thiels, but still impressive.
I usually paint my speakers with the stealth paint that I got from a friend who used to work at McDonnell Douglas aircraft.
Works really well.

Kenny.
Post removed 
Whether or not ones eyes are opened or closed during the listening session also plays a role as to how well the speakers disappear.