Neil Young - Guitarist

We all know Neil for his outstanding songwriting skills and some may even recognize his talents with a guitar but is he underrated? in 2015 Rolling Stone ranked him as number 17 of 100 greatest guitarists of all time. Can anyone pull more raw emotion out of a guitar than Neil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrkKNZRIfM
128x128falconquest
Beside Daryl, he has a vast model train setup to play with.  World class!
For entertaining guitar, Kottke,Fahey, Lang, Knopfler and ,of course, Chuck Berry.
Hmm...I'm struggling with accepting the idea that "artistic" doesn't involve technical skill. In music, it does. Playing a musical instrument "greatly" requires many things--one of those requirements is deep technical skill. Frank Zappa wrote the challenging Black Page #1 for the drum kit and then used it to audition his drummers. If you couldn't play Black Page #1, then you weren't playing for Zappa. It turns out Zappa had a few truly great drummers! Playing Black Page #1 doesn't make anyone a great drummer. It simply demonstrate deep technical chops. The same concept applies to great guitar musicianship. Technical skill combined with musicality, originality, practicing for improvement, and a well trained ear are a few of the foundations for musical greatness.  
My perso favs

Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, John Frusciante, Brian May, Mike Campbell, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jack White, Keith Richards.

they all speak through the guitar. It is a unique gift to be able to make a guitar speak. There are many others. Conveying feeling requires subtlety. These musicians also play for the song.

Wanabees

Santana, Eddie van Halen and Hendrix - they all try too hard. Impressive tone and skill but in the outrageous showmanship quest they often ignore important aspects of rhythm, respecting the other musicians and playing to give feeling to the song.

Stewart, my musings on this subject are once again not understood. My point is not that technique is not a factor (or even requirement) in being a superior musician, but rather that technique is often the sole (or at least main) criteria with which musical talent is judged. Should it be?

Let me make a broad statement: All the technique that a musician needs is that which allows him to play with his body what he hears in his head. There are some musicians greatly admired for their talent and/or skill whose music I don’t care for, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t true for just about everyone.

Here’s a very good example of how I look at the subject: Steve Smith was the drummer in Journey during the height of their popularity. He is a very accomplished player, now playing Jazz, what he was doing before joining Journey. Richard Manuel was the pianist/singer in The Band (one of Eric Clapton’s favorite singers, and a musician Clapton recently called a genius), but also played drums on quite a few Band songs (primarily on their 2nd, s/t "brown" album). Smith’s drumming in Journey was largely what I consider pedestrian---very unimaginative, stock "Rock" drumming. But he played it flawlessly, thanks to his advanced chops. Manuel’s drumming is very unique and unusual, his parts very imaginative and interesting (and sometimes intentionally humorous, rare amongst drummers). They are also very musical, his parts always in service to the song. But Richard was pretty limited in technique, and a little awkward on the drum set.

So, on the one hand you have a technically advanced drummer playing forgettable, routine stock parts in songs that are nothing to write home about (does anyone consider the guys in Journey good songwriters?!). On the other, a pianist playing drums as a second instrument, whose drum parts are fantastic---very creative, unique, interesting, and above all musical. And they are played in the context of some of the best songs ever played by a Rock ’n’ Roll Band. So, who’s the "better" drummer?