Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
kef lover
Pogorelich, YES!
I have his "complete recording on DG" 14 cds
He gives me faith that the tradition is going forward
Yes, Pogorelich is a great individualist.
I saw him in his debut Carnegie Hall recital over twenty years ago.
He showed utter disdain for the audience, never cracking a smile and barely acknowledging the presence of the audience.
But, what a pianist!
 I know he stopped playing after his piano teacher/wife died, I believe in ‘97.
I didn’t realize he resumed his career until I just read it.
 He’s in the cut of Glenn Gould (one of my two favorite pianists, the other being Horowitz) in that he re-interprets a piece without regard for conventional performance.  I much admire that.  An original thinker.

As far as favorite pianists, there’s also Rachmaninoff — but he’s a god!
FLAC:
- Stravinsky; Le Sacre du Printemps, Nezet-Seguin/Philadelpia/DGG 24/96 hi-res

Vinyl:
- Stravinsky; Le Sacre du Printemps, Stravinsky/Columbia Symphony/Columbia Grey two-eye (1967?) pressing
- Bartok; Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta/Concerto for Two Pianos and Percussion, Bernstein/New York Philharmonic/Columbia
- Bartok; Concerto for Orchestra, Reiner/Chicago/RCA
- Bach; Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin, Szeryng/DGG
- Shostakovich; Symphony No. 8, Previn/London/Angel
- Stravinsky, L'Histoire du Soldat, Stravinsky/Columbia Ensemble/Columbia
Prokofiev; Lt. Kije, Szell/Cleveland/Columbia

Here's another name, Andrew Manze, to add to Andreas Staier, Rachel Podger, etc., as a great modern musician.  Both as a performer and a conductor, there hasn't been a disc of his that I haven't liked.  (We can't always stay wrapped up in Walter and Dorati.)

And while I think of it, another Andrew, Lawrence-King, with another across-the-board recommendation, though his Spanish Dances CD is very special.