Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I’ve been moving around the whole thread. It’s always done meticulously and with purpose. And everything is compared A/B with all variables kept exactly the same. My side comparisons happen when DAC or server comparisons are complete. And every comparison is ALWAYS done with all other variables set in stone. Only one thing changed at a time when doing formal comparisons.
@mattnshilp 

Given the number of posts in this thread, the nearly four calendar years since its inception and your meticulous standards, can you state at this time the answer to your post question?

In other words, to date and in your opinion, what is "the absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD"? If you can elaborate as to why, that too would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Gdhal - my current reference is my Light Harmonic Davinci2 DAC being fed via a Light Harmonic Lightspeed 20G usb cable from a fully tweaked out Memory Player MP64.

It is the best red book (as well as high res and DSD) I have ever heard. It’s natural, dynamic, spacious, engaging, layered and just gives that lost in the music moment over and over again. Yes, it’s that good! For those that wonder, it is the most analog digital I have ever heard. It sounds more like a turntable then a digital source.

That said, there are still some DAC’s and servers I have not heard and can not, yet, comment on. I will continue to try dacs and servers until I have heard everything there is to hear. And just about then, a new technology or product will come out that will peak my interest and this will go on and on. Lol. 

Guido, you were my Sensei who taught me the importance of a lengthy bun in process. I don’t listen to anything critically until it has 750-1000 hours on it. Yes, 1000 hours. It makes a difference. So I don’t doubt at all that a new circuit would require a burn in period.

I am going to run a new circuit. I have already ordered my Square D 20 amp breaker, I will use one of my EP ground filters (they really do work), ordered a 30 foot run of cryo treated 10/2 Romex with ground, Furutech GTX-D-NCF outlet, and the matching NFC plate and cover. I will plug a space heater onto it for a month and let it burn in. 👍🏻
Hello again.
 I don't follow a lot of forums or threads on the web, but of all the threads i've followed so far, this one thread where a sensible approach is  maintained most of the time . So congrats & all the best to all & above all matt & also on his video channel.  I'm glad the effort you are putting in to extracting the best form your setup, a lot of it reconfirms my beliefs as well.
A question . Why aren't you using a balanced power solution in your home as in your clinic?
Asking as i'm also making a new room would be nice to understand & learn form your  experience.
Thanks

Hello Matt... I'll drink  [fizzy San Pellegrino] to that... Here's to real love of sound and music, and our ever-patient quest for audio Nirvana!

G.

G.