What is the correct way to use the Zerostat?

Hi fellow members,

Need some help with my Zerostat gun used for my vinyl records.

First, should the record be spinning on the platter when I slowly squeeze and slowly release the trigger aimed at the record on the turntable, or should the record be stationary while I pull and release the trigger?

Second, what's the nozzle with a lightbulb that came with the Zerostat do? Is this a test? How do I use it? There was no instruction manual in the box to tell me how to use it.

Third, no matter how slow I pull or release the trigger, I still get a click noise from the Zerostat. Based on reading forums, it appears that if you hear clicking noise, that means I pulled/released too fast on the trigger. How slow is considered slow ?

Any help/feedback would be nice.
studio68
Audphile, I haven't read every single post that followed on to your first one, but if you use the (old style) Audioquest brush AFTER you use the Zerostat, you are likely putting static charge back on the LP after you neutralized it with the Zerostat, whether you moisten your fingers or not, because the old Audioquest brush provides no electrical continuity between the bristles and the handle.  Zerostat treatment should come last. (There IS a new Audioquest brush that is grounded via the body of the user, by holding its handle during use, thus perhaps it does not create a static charge on the LP. I don't know when the new version of the brush came on the market, but I think it is quite recent.)

I don't argue with the notion that the LP should be sitting still, not rotating, but I do not understand why that would be the case.
I’ve changed my method to the three point plus center.... wow. This thong finally works as I’d always hoped it would.  Thanks audphile. 

Lou
I'm using the three point method described above and getting great results. I give a quick brush with a Hunt brush to pick up any loosened dust.
Im going to try zapping the brush as described above.
Zerostats do not work. The problem is that as soon as the stylus starts rubbing the groove static electricity is generated pulling dust towards the record. There are two ways to deal with this. The first is always use a dust cover. If your table does not have one there are companies that will make one for you. You can hinge it to your cabinet.
Next is this  https://www.sleevecityusa.com/Antistatic-Record-Cleaning-Arm-p/tac-01.htm. I have used one version or another of this for 40 years. The bristles of this arm are conductive and its base is connected to ground. It dutifully follows the grove discharging the static and sweeping any incidental dust out of the way. If you have a good mat and a record weight you will not hear it at all. At the end of the side I give it a wipe with a standard felt record brush. I have never worn out a stylus .
You have to position the brush just right. Too close to the plater and it will skate inwards, too far and it will skate outwards. It should follow the record right along with the tonearm. It is terribly expensive at a whopping $20. As an aside, NEVER treat your records with any surface treatment. Last is a joke. It is just plain Freon! Nothing else in it. If you have some put a drop on a clean mirror and let it evaporate. Put another  drop in the same place and let it evaporate. You can do this a thousand times and you will not see a darn thing on that mirror. Nice scam. "Oh but it makes my records sound better!" Placebo. Anything that sticks to vinyl is going to gum up your stylus. The trick for keeping your records clean is don't let them get dirty in the first place. "oh but the record is loaded with all kinds of gunk from the factory!" My a--. Take a clean bright white cloth and spray it with a little distilled water. Wipe every new record you buy right out of the sleeve before you play it. Keep the cloth in a plastic bag. Wipe every new record you get for a year. What do you see on the cloth?
Anyone want to take a bet?  I do keep a Spin clean handy for when other people bring their records over or if I do something stupid like spill my coffee on the record.