Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, that thing with Chick Corea is from "My Spanish Heart". Before this they gave us "Mingus" soup warmed over, and claimed it was something fantastic; maybe we're asking for too much.

The past is never dead, it's not even past.

Beka Gochiashvili is a fantastic pianist, but can he create something original, that's what jazz is all about. Originality was what made Mingus, as well as Monk; the ability to improvise was what made the "Messengers" and modern jazz.

I thank you Acman, and Frogman for bringing good music to this thread, and even if it does not resonate with my harmonic strings, it's still good music by fantastic musicians.

"In physics, resonance is a phenomenon in which a vibrating system or external force drives another system to oscillate with greater amplitude at specific frequencies. Frequencies at which the response amplitude is a relative maximum are known as the system's resonant frequencies or resonance frequencies."

I'm seeking resonance.

O-10, as I get older I seem to get less and less tolerant of bs. I suppose I should appreciate, on some level, the attempt at even handed magnanimity even if it rings hollow. There would never be any argument over preferences and different tastes in music were it not accompanied with a sense of superiority and shades of condescension for those with a different view; especially when it s not accompanied by much that is substantive. I have a different take (surprise!): It is not that you are “asking too much”, it is that you are asking too little....of yourselves and of your musical acumen. As usual the proof is obvious:

The Chick Corea tune is not from “My Spanish Heart”; it is the tune “Spain” from “Light As A Feather”. Additionally, do I need to remind you that the “warmed over Mingus” was presented by you when you could not recognize the obvious, that it was not the original Mingus?

Frogman, since "My Spanish Heart" was 2 LP's of Chick Coreas music projecting his Spanish Heart, don't you think "Spain" might have been incorporated somewhere in that music.

Whenever you get through, I heard music from "My Spanish Heart"; that's two LP's, and four sides of music. if you give it a listen, you might agree, but since it was his music in both cases, he could play it whenever and however he wanted, and call it what he liked.

And here I thought it was the genuine article, I thought it was "Mingus", that just goes to show how good they were at warming it over.

Couple years back, Orpheus asked me about the size of my  recod collection, considering the number of unknown artists that I have posted here.

Well, I do not know does Jimmy Page listens to jazz music, but his room is much more packed with music than mine...

Still, its nice to see somebody who seems to just enjoys in music....

Jimmy Page's room, from documentary 'It might get loud'...

https://youtu.be/KVcS7KDf60s