Velodyne Digital Drive Series subwoofer in stereo

Hi, I've been very interested in running two subwoofers in stereo (diff. signals to each subwoofer); I've heard many people swear by this setup.

My next room for my system will be 14' x 14' x 18' high ceiling loft living room. My question is, will two DD10 be enough to fill the room with organ music and scare me out of my seat for movie tracks? Should I move up to two DD12s? Money is not really an issue, but I'd like to save wherever I can.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
spacekadet

Hi Sailfishben,

Well, I have never personaly experienced two subwoofers setup receiveing separate stereo signals. But I've heard from people who say it makes a big difference.

I figured I'd buy couple of subwoofers to try it out and A/B test it w/ a single subwoofer, and then sell the extra subwoofer if there is no significant difference.

As for actually hooking up cables, my McIntosh C45 preamp is perfect. For stereo inputs, it can simultaneously provide THREE (two XLR balanced, one unbalanced) outputs. I connect the preamp to my amp via XLR connection and will use the other L & R XLR outputs for the subwoofers.
Please repost after you do your experiment. I'm interested in the results. Thinking of changing my Adire Rava with either 2 Velodyne DD or the new REL Britannia. Speakers Dynaudio S1.4, amp Plinius 102, Preamp Supratek, TT REGa Denon/ DL103
I just found this on the Anthem website...

Q20: I have two subwoofers and want to use them in stereo. Can the surround preamp's subwoofer outputs run in stereo?

A: No, although the same job can be done by disabling the sub channel in the setup menu, then hooking up the subs through their own crossovers to the front left and front right channels. This is not recommended because a stereo subwoofer configuration has little value. Few recordings contain real stereo bass info, (e.g. large pipe organ using widely spaced microphones) and unless the subs are located outdoors and away from the ground, they can't reproduce it anyway. Inside a room, running them in mono instead is beneficial because they can be moved to wherever they create the least amount of resonance individually, and as a combination, make each other's response peaks and valleys less severe. As well, a "bass spaciousness" effect can be dialled in with the phase control if it's available on one of the subs (which is what happens when two widely spaced microphones pick up a low frequency source - same long wavelength, different phase between the two).

FYI...

Thanks Sailfishben,

I was going to buy a Velodyne DD10 for my bedroom and then add another one when I move to my new apartment, but I found a really good bargain for DD15 and ended up ordering that... I'll update my system as soon as the subwoofer arrives.
GREAT... so glad you obtain the 15" driver. Simple math tells you it's 50 percent larger, which as Yogi would say, is a lot! Anyway if you stumble on the set up, e-mail me. I'm no installer but... Enjoy!