More speakers for sale than other componenet. Y?

There are more speakers for sale on AudiogoN than other component, except for cables (1512 - 1606). And even that is very close.

I understand why there are so many cables for sale (High profit margin), but it just struck me as odd, because speakers are often thought of as the cornerstone of a system. Aren't most systems built around a good set of speakers?

Maybe that's why there are so many companies trying for that niche?

In my case, I have had the same pair of speakers for about 10 years (Alon I), and I have completely replaced the electronics and cables. Some more than once.

What is your opinion/experience?

Brad
bday0000
I sort of agree with Photon46's comments, but would add that most folks can more easily hear the difference between speakers than they can between the electronic's. When seeking an improvement in their system thats the easiest item to address. Reality sets in when they have high quality speakers and lousy (relatively) sound and then they have to learn about the differences that their electronic's and set up can make. Beemer is right, its all about synergy.
A twist on the same ideas is maybe too many people put way too much stock in speakers and not enough on the more important componants, so when the system still doesn't sound good they rush off for the next pair of speakers rather than fixing the problem.

Or maybe i this is like all the rest of the absurd "why are there so many_____for sale" questions, and it's because they were soo many sold!
I think that most audiophiles worth their salt build systems around their source. Maybe I am just a source first kind of guy? How knows?
Over the yrs. I've vacillated between which component I should use as the cornerstone of my system & currently the amp holds that position.

I upgraded within the line over a 3 1/2 yr. period & this amp has made the other components become even more synergistic w.ea. other.
I too think that the room, and synergy are the problem, if more Audiophiles (myself included) spent the time and effort and money into room treatments and in a perfect world could audition everything as a whole to find that perfect synergy you would see alot less speaker upgrades, but there is also upgradeitis the plagues so many, and too many are in my opinion missing the point and not stoping enough to enjoy the music, some folks upgrade while still planning on another upgrade 2 upgrades ahead, so when they get the new speaker it has already been predetermined in their mind that they want to be in another model...and that sets up for defeat...its pretty insane, I guess if you have unlimited money or you live in your moms basement this can be ok....but in the real world...its nuts!