Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Glad you enjoyed those links, mary_jo.

pryso made a good observation re players quoting other tunes in their solos:

**** In fact it happens so often it can become a parlor game to identify all the other music references a soloist may include in their turn. ****

As with most things it depends on the skill with which it is done. I wish I could claim to have said this: in a recent discussion on the subject a musician acquaintance said “When you are trying to channel John Coltrane, you don’t want to hear Woody Woodpecker”. To which another musician said: “Yeah, but not everyone is good at telling jokes”.

Charlie Parker was one of the most prolific at quoting other tunes. Surely due in part to the fact that he listened to and studied a wide variety of musical styles and was a huge fan of Classical composers, Igor Stravinsky in particular and whom he often quoted in his solos.. Here is as great an example of just how deeply into the details of a jazz giant’s playing some insane jazz-heads can get 😎:

On the subject of Charlie Parker’s quotations of other tunes in his solos (and, yes, he too quotes “Woody Woodpecker” in example #006):

http://www.chasinthebird.com/quotes_e.html

Lol, Frogman, that is absolutely crazy!!

My reaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDK7sRLn-3E

But check the beginning of this song (I recommend not to listen further on):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmc8q2dcIMs

:))))

frog, thanks for digging so deeply to find those legal perspectives.  However, not being a lawyer I quickly became twisted around some of the logic presented there.  And just exactly what is the duration of "briefly quotes"?  ;^)

Anyway, quoting lines is such an established tradition in jazz (re: your Charlie Parker references) that I doubt it will end.
Now something for anyone who appreciates Louis Armstrong.  I've mentioned before that my dad was a big fan so I heard lots of his music while growing up.  I still have one 78 album (3 records so 6 songs) from his collection, Armstrong and his All Stars Town Hall Concert 1947.  I posted at least once from that recording previously.  Now recently I stumbled upon this link which appears to possibly be that entire concert.  Satch was both young and mature enough here that this may have been one of his optimum recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=120jlJAsfBk

Sorry all of you looking for "new releases".  This is going the wrong way. ;^)

Pryso, when I got into jazz, anybody before "Bird" was obsolete. That outlook remained for many years, but recently, new jazz has to be "very old" jazz, such as Louis Armstrong. (isn't that an interesting play on time)

I'm going to listen to this in it's entirety, and see where it takes me, after which I'll get back to you.